What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

Ahhhhhhhhh!

@Oscuros

Approaching Infinity is so great, so excited it’s gonna hit Steam!

That is awesome. I was hooked on this for a bit on the Vita, great game.

The problem with Shiren games tend to be too many traps. It’s a big part of what was wrong with the One Way Heroics sequel, so I’m skeptical on this.

I don’t know if I knew/remembered there was a sequal to One Way Heroics. I take by your comment that it isn’t very good?

It’s not. The original OWH Plus is the best iteration.

Well that is dissapointing considering how good the 1st one is.

The sequel felt like it was made by people who either never played the first one or didn’t understand why it was so God damned good.

Classic roguelike now on sale during the Steam Summer sale for 40% off.

“In a world where Christianity is growing, the single hope for humankind`s salvation is a pagan hunter.”
A new roguelike is available for playing (full version or a free demo version): download the demo or buy the full version

This one gave me some carpal issues. It has some good ideas but I don’t think it fully realizes them.

I liked (but didn’t love) the progression and some of the mechanics. But the game, when playing with M+K, did not feature the sort of quality of life UI features you get in something like TOME. E.g. when casting a spell that needs a target, the cursor doesn’t snap to the nearest enemy. I don’t recall it snapping to the last thing you targeted either but it’s been awhile. It drove me absolutely batty. I liked playing casters and it just felt like I had to spend a lot of time moving a cursor around.

There’s a rogue-lite like progression mechanic where you can use earned essence to unlock bonuses for future characters. Most ifd these are very minor; the stat growth in the game is such that getting e.g. +3 to all stats doesn’t feel that great even at the start. Also, you can turn all of it off if you want to ignore it, which is cool.

I do think the spell upgrade mechanic is a little non-intuitive for casters. You get a set chance to learn a spell from a scroll, wand, or book (in order of least to most) and you can influence that with stats and some of the perks you can get on level up. But you can consume another source of a spell to buff it. E.g. any fireball scroll could upgrade your spell from Fireball I to II. But then you can also find items that cast a spell at I/II/etc (I’ve had spells way up there, like Xish), and they grant a higher chance for an increase. But the higher you have something upgraded, the harder it is to learn something. Attempting consumes the item. The problem is mana costs scale crazy fast and damage doesn’t scale nearly as much (some other effects can result from upgrading, like summoning multiple creatures from a summon spell). But eventually enemies get hard enough that you have to start upgrading. It was mildly annoying sorting out when generally to proceed with an upgrade.

Gearing was very lackluster.

Odd little roguelike on sale right now. Not sure what to make of it. Only done one run so far.

I love Shadowcrawl. It’s so weird and fun.

Just as a reminder, Keeper RL still sees updates.

I think there may have been speculation up thread but I don’t think anyone has shared that Shiren: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate was announced for both Switch and Steam about a month ago. No date yet but it’s a 2020 release.

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/9906-shiren-the-wanderer-the-tower-of-fortune-and-the-dice-of-fate-launches-for-nintendo-switch-and-steam-in-2020

I loved this iteration on the Vita. Beat the main dungeon and 8-9 side dungeons. Then I took a year off, jumped back in and my last save was at a super dangerous point. I was killed and lost the equipment I’d been leveling the entire time. /cry Looking forward to jumping back into it on re-release.

Yup, @Profanicus posted the trailer on June 23

I consider overall, while some of the QoL stuff is good, the changes and additions to the series in this entry are a net negative. Especially night time.
Many other Shirens/Mystery Dungeons play better than this.
That said, I still love Shiren, even this one, and I’ll still be getting it again on Steam.

Day/night cycles were added in the previous one, and I love the risk/reward of them, the way they make you use a bunch of the lower items you would just not bother picking up, and how you can mostly just skip them if you are really scared. I’m a masochist and I can’t get enough of that Monster Level up jingle.
A lot of dungeons don’t feature the mechanic if it’s not to one’s taste, too.
5 is hands down the best in the series since Asuka to me, and there is not even a close contest with that one. Even the soundtrack is the the best. What an amazing game, and I can’t wait to finally play the Vita extras.

The dungeon variety is a good point. There’s just so much to do in 5, and a lot of options for how you spend your time or set goals. I need to give the OST another listen, I don’t remember any of them being particularly striking to me. But I tend to play Shiren as a podcast game.
For the record, my favorite is Genso Wanderer.

Holy cats does Barony pwn noobs. Thanks for the free pwning, Epic.