What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

Yeah, I’ve also had no luck in Heaven’s Lake or Hunter’s Pond.

Yes, Page of Youth is available from the Dungeon Center. The main change is that Nixer Scrolls are super-common, so you can befriend a bunch of monsters. I think the other loot is worse than average to compensate, but it was still one of the easier dungeons I’ve tried so far.

I managed to complete Heavenly Lake last night. Had some very close calls, and was burning consumables like crazy to get through the last few floors, so it was exactly the sort of experience I want out of a game like this.

What abilities are you guys using? I try out all the new ones as I get them, but mostly wind up relying on Electrocute due to its combination of power and ability to hit multiple targets.

Electrocute, with “Mine! Mine! Mine!” because it hits hard and can steal auras, one heal, one Ally Cannon (but I haven’t used it yet, actually not useful for Heavenly Lake as you don’t have a party), and of course one Stairlight.

Getting a bit frustrated with Heavenly Lake as there are so many failure points. I’ve had multiple games where I get a nice shield like a red shield but can’t find a weapon for 5 levels, or a I get a great weapon like a red sword but never find any sort of shield – and in that case around level 4 and 5 the blade bees can one shot you with their sting if you have 0 defense. Or I’ll get a decent weapon/shield but can’t find any or torches so end up in big trouble my first or second nighttime.

I reached level 24 about a week ago before I decided to concentrate on other things, but I don’t think I’ve been past level 9 in my last 3 or 4 attempts.

In my latest attempt I found a reasonable weapon (baffle axe) and a red shield, torches as well, but food has been hard to come by so I couldn’t hide in a corner at night, and walked into a small room with those tooth creatures that come in threes and one other creature. I had only two damage abilities left so I tried to run and died. I’ll link the rescue request below in case you are still looking for that trophy.

Sorry it’s a photo. Because non-standard ASCII characters are used in the passwords (additional characters that appear in Japanese fonts like the circle, double circle, and downward triangle) it’s not possible to type a rescue password into text box to share on a forum. Poor localization decision on the part of Chunsoft and/or AKSYS.

Yeah, it’s a tricky dungeon, and unlike some of the others, the special rule is purely negative, denying you a lot of items. I almost starved a couple of times before having some good luck with food in shops. And like an idiot, I forgot the rule, stole a bunch of great items in a Zalokleft pot, threw it at the wall, and had it all vanish.

I haven’t done anything with rescues either way, but I’ll take a shot at yours next chance I get. I’m on 20F of Gen’s Turf at the moment.

Hah, I did that too. Combined some items in a synthesis pot, threw it at a wall, then went from having an overpowered weapon to none!

I assume doing that in a shop would be the only way to safely break pots.

I managed to finish up Gen’s Turf and squeeze in the rescue before bed tonight. Never found the Baffle Axe, but the Red Shield and Growth Bracelet kept me from being in too much danger.

Thanks! Did you get the trophy?

Yep!5

I’ve since finished up Heaven’s Lake and Gen’s Turf, and the first two tiers of Underground Manor. Probably going to work on the next tier or two of Underground Manor, then work on unlocking Pitfall of Life.

Nice! I just checked out the first tier of Underground Manor, and then made a few attempts at Primordial Chasm, finally completing it last night. I don’t remember seeing Pitfall of Life listed anywhere, so will have to try and track that down.

And Lost Well (30F, start at level 1 but bring your items) is down.

I got clobbered in there on my first few attempts with “mere” +40-ish gear. On one attempt I entered a floor into a nighttime monster house, took one step, and then got hit with 3 separate Dark Archdragon breaths from offscreen for 60 damage each. And most of the rest of my losses were due to getting control taken away by Grass Gramps or MC Sorcerors inflicting Berserk or Sleep on me, or stumbling into an upgraded monster in the dark and getting one-shotted. But I always kept an Undo Grass on hand to get out safely.

Those attempts racked up enough experience to max out the rank on my weapon and shield, unlocking a +99 upgrade cap and infinite rune slots, so I was able to fuse all the stuff waiting in storage, and they both now have +80 or so and ~15 different rune abilities. More importantly, experimenting with the secret pots yielded an amazing arsenal of randarts, including:

-See and pick up traps, which affect monsters rather than you + disable the day/night cycle.
-Display items + fast HP regeneration + Exp. growth
-Prevent sleep + walk through wall tiles
-Prevent poison + prevent confusion + items thrown at you will miss + monsters drop more onigiri

That first one in particular was the biggest difference maker, completely negating all sorts of dangerous situations and helping deal with dangerous monsters at the same time. I never took it off, swapping in the others into the second slot as needed based on the situation.

I still prefer the fresh-start dungeon experience, but I have to say that I enjoyed this style a bit more than I expected based on Shiren DS. There I gave up on the equipped dungeons after losing my upgraded gear and facing the prospect of grinding it back up just to lose it again. But between tags and Undo Grass, that isn’t really an issue here – I’m much more comfortable with the risk of losing a couple hours’ progress than equipment that’s been built up over the course of days or weeks.

UnReal World awarded 2017 Guinness World Record for “Longest update support for a game”

GWR Gamer’s Edition 2017 was published today and what do we find there?
UnReal World gets a world record with “Longest update support for a game” title. Basically, that means that since the first version release there has been a constant stream of updates, for a record-setting 24 years in a row.

It’s some record for us and the game, but it’s also a record for you dear players, fans and followers. It is your support and feedback which has made it possible to keep up the journey this long.

I take this as a great acknowledgement both for UrW and for the whole roguelike genre in general. The genre is famous of long running labour of love projects. There are also other games started back in 90’s with a long development history. What did put us in the book is probably the extra-ordinary continuity till this day, the work being carried on by the very same original developer(s), with no hiatus or pauses during this nearly quarter of a century.

Special greetings to the players who have been playing the game for all these 24 years.
Very special greetings to the players who asked back in 1992 if there are going to be any future updates. :)

Cheers and thanks to all of you for making history with us.

I’m not sure if anyone has discussed Ultima Ratio Regum. A text search of this thread didn’t seem to bring anything up.

Well it’s already kinda fun despite the world being dead empty and there not being much to do but wander. If you read the guy’s devblog or this Rock Paper Shotgun interview you can see it’s quite ambitious and the developer wants to do all kinds of wacky procedural stuff, even procedurally generated NPC conversations! I know, I know, we’re all down on procedural 'cause of NMS, but I still eat this stuff up.

The guy claims NPCs are coming in this month, so I’m looking forward to an imminent update.

So my Vita has seen very little action in the last year or so and Shiren might be something I could get behind, but it’s a £32 maybe. I’d be terrified of bouncing hard off it.

If you have a DS you could buy the previous title to make sure you like the series for a reasonable price point. Dip your toe in the water!

That’s not a bad idea actually. Is there much of a difference between the two versions?

Seems a bit of a weird definition. NetHack came out in 1987 and is still updated. I guess it’s more sporadic release of updates don’t qualify as support?

I’d like it to be that it is because the same 2 guys (well, one guy technically) have been updating it for all those years.
…but it might that it was shareware-commercial-true shareware, well in any case, not freeware per se. Or that nobody else bothered to try for it before, which would be the saddest option ;)

Edit: well, the answer was in Sami’s announcement on Steam, and it is one that pleases me:

What did put us in the book is probably the extra-ordinary continuity till this day, the work being carried on by the very same original developer(s), with no hiatus or pauses during this nearly quarter of a century.

@Left_Empty already answered but I think Nethack’s development was a bit more rocky with a 12 year hiatus where no new gameplay updates were released. UnReal World really is an interesting story.