• Hulless
  • (third voting category below)
  • Normal Kernel
  • Butterfly Kernel
  • Mushroom Kernel
0 voters

Popped

I had no idea there was such a range.

I just like buttery with a hint of sugar…

Oooohh popcorn. It is my birthday soon, might treat myself to a movie night with a bucket or 4 of popcorn.

I’ve grown dissatisfied with microwave popcorn. I’ve been meaning to buy an old-fashioned oil popper, along with coconut oil and (the key ingredient) flavacol.

I think I’m going to get back into popcorn - thank you for the encouragement JP! [Tomorrow I’m getting an implant finalized and another chipped implant replaced. No, not boobs, toothses!]

You don’t need to do that. You can pop kernel pop corn on the stove with a small sauce and lid. I’ll even use olive oil (heresy i know), but corn or vegetable oil works fine too. The only problem with popping popcorn this way is if you like popcorn to be buttered… i’ve never really figured out a way to do it in a stove pot. I might try using a spice microplane and shave the butter into the fully cooked pot and shaking it up a little or something.

Interestingly you can really tell the difference between premium brand kernels and off-brand stuff. The cheap cheap kernels don’t pop as large and have many more dead kernels; the ‘premium’ stuff pops almost perfectly to a kernel.

Jiffypop on a stove.

Hey now that’s worth a shot! Clarified butter… I’ve got to remember that.

I remember one of my childhood friends used to get a tub of three flavored pre-popped popcorn every Christmas. Salted, caramel and cheese, I think. It was limp and disgusting for the most part, but we made it to the bottom of the container playing Ghosts 'n Goblin and Mario Bros for hours and hours.

But yeah, gross.

I just bought this for my popcorn.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M19Z219/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for that link. Going to try her method minus the food coloring this weekend.

This is what I use when making popcorn: