What, no Fall 2016 Television Preview Thread?!

Count me in as a fan of BrainDead, but I have to say the highlight for me were the wacky and hilarious episode recaps by Jonathan Coulton of Portal’s “Still Alive” fame.

I’m excited to see how Timeless’s focus grouped diverse cast handles the issue with time travel and race/gender.* I predict it ignores it entirely.

* The question “if you could time travel to anytime in history, when would it be?” is only really a fun game if you’re a white male. Otherwise, the answer is “…uh, sometime after 1980 or so?”

I completely forgot to revisit this thread and post my DVR additions for this fall!

I’m curious about Timeless on NBC (Oct. 3rd, 10PM). The premise looks great, but as CLWheeljack mentioned, I fear too many situations where “we have to choose between catching the bad guy or saving our teammate from a situation arising from their gender/race/opinions”.

It will probably be terrible, but I’m going to check out The Exorcist on FOX (Sep. 23rd, 9PM). Geena Davis and the creepiness factor are both draws for me.

Speaking of creepiness factor, SyFy is premiering Channel Zero Oct. 11th 9PM. It looks like American Horror Story mixed with Stephen King…

SyFy also has Aftermath, a story of a family trying to survive the end times. I’m undecided on this, it looks a little bit too much like Z Nation style camp from the previews.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is SyFy’s Incorporated produced by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. It’s not coming until November 30th, but it looks like it could be one of fall/winter’s best new shows.

Falling Water premiers Oct 13th on USA (10PM). Three people with different personal stories all share strange visions/dreams that may have an impact on the entire world. Looks creepy and interesting.

BBCA has Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. I never read the Douglas Adams novels, but the show looks very entertaining.

Between all that I need to find time to binge on several Netflix shows dropping this fall including Luke Cage, Narcos, Longmire, Black Mirror and The Crown.

And of course there is a host of a returning shows I enjoy watching:
The Strain
Walking Dead
Agents of SHIELD
Legends of Tomorrow
and half a dozen or more comedies

Time to make some room on the DVR!

Time to subscribe to HBO for a bit to catch Westworld. And the wife has to go for it because she subbed to STARZ for Outlander.

Designated Survivor…Jack Bauer meets Jed Bartlet…who could pass that up?

Communists, that’s who.

Is Black Sails returning? I just binged 3 seasons of that and really enjoyed. it.

The final season comes out in January, IIRC.

I think I’m going to give Pitch a try. Baseball drama about a female pitcher breaking into the majors. My cynicism says it’s likely to be terrible, but it’s baseball, which is enough to get me in the door.

Just tried out BrainDead at lunch on Amazon. Looks really good, thanks!

Conviction with Hayley Atwell is the only must see for me. Loves me some Hayley Atwell, and will really miss Agent Carter.

They literally bring this up in the trailer in a joke. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4glJzvUunOE

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your comment.

My DVR is old and only records two shows at a time. Oh well, there’s always Usenet. ;-)

Who is your provider? DirecTV upgraded mine for free a couple of years ago. All I had to do was call and ask. They even put the old one on the upstairs TV, so now with a little voodoo magic I can record like 6 things at a time. It might pay to give your provider a call, the worst they can do is say no.

Alas, it’s my own TiVo Premiere from ca. 2010, so…

(oh, and my provider is Comcast for both TV and internet.)

Really interested in designated survivor and westworld. Going to check out brain dead. also Blacklist starting season 3 on netflix and will dvr 4 when it starts. Same with Narcos. And a little self promotion, if you watch the first episode of new season of Chicago Med, you will see our helicopter! Work for a air medical program and they filmed here couple of months back.

Is there any good buzz about the Dirk Gently show? I think I saw a preview but I can’t remember much, and I never read the Douglas Adams book.

I’ve not heard any buzz at all. As far as I know they haven’t done previews yet, other than the trailer.

The wife and I watched The Good Place last night and while I can’t speak for her, I really liked it a lot.

I also enjoyed The Good Place a lot. The feel of the “place” reminds me of the land in Pushing Daisies. But this time it’s supposed to be heaven, so I like it. In Pushing Daisies it was always weird that they happen to be living in some strange fantasy land, which was never mentioned by the characters, and they weren’t aware of it. Only the audience was.