What options do I have for MP3 players aren't crap or iPods?

Yes this is what fucking infuriated me so much.

Here is some info:

note the comments under it. IDIOTS.

Btw that firmware that introduces this came out yesterday, just day before I got it.
here is “patch log”:

Enhancements:
• Max volume level is lowered in Normal volume setting to comply with new European Union requirement
• Playback performance of mono WAV and FLAC files is improved

Enhancements my ass!

Well, as long as you can simply change the setting, it’s OK. If they sold only crippled versions in the EU, it would be pretty outrageous.

Wow, that is amazing.

And my woes continue…

So I was just done copying music, so I started listening, and it just died.

And I cannot bring it back to life. I tried holding power on for 20-30 seconds, nothing. Plugging to PC, nothing. It is weirdly hot though. Damn I hate this shit.

Replacement time!

It’s a good player I swear

“Weirdly hot” sounds bad. Other than that, it happened to me once. I called support the next day, held the switch on for 10-9-8 and pow, it was on. It healed.

The EU wins! Your ears are safe.

hahaha fuck EU!

I suspect it was frozen and running all night, because when it died, the battery was almost full. In the morning at work I plugged it in the PC, it lightened up and started recharging - the battery was empty.
But it worked today normally, so I hope it won’t happen again.

Arise you nearly 11 year old thread. Isn’t the chic thing to do is bump really old threads instead of making new ones?

Anyway I’m looking for a good quality inexpensive portable player that can stream Pandora and Sirius/XM and play lossless music files. I don’t want an iPod because I really don’t want to deal with iTunes. I would also like it to have good sound quality that takes advantage of my Siennhuaser (sp?) headphones.

So, what I’m looking for is a player that has WiFi, able to load some apps and/or have Pandora and Sirius?XM apps already loaded. Able to connect it to my computer so I can copy music files and have good sound quality. I would like it to cost $200 or less, but will look at something that costs a little more.

To get what you want in your price range, I’d look into streaming from your phone via Bluetooth to a Shanling player. Look at the M0 and the Q1. There’s also the Shanling M2x at $220, which streams Tidal on its own but not (I think) the apps you mention. There may be a hack.

If you decide you can spend more, I’d look at the ibasso DX160. ibasso make players with truly great sound quality and build quality (I’ve used my DX50 daily for several years now and feel no need to switch to anything else) but I’ve heard mixed reviews on Wi-Fi experience. I haven’t used a Wi-Fi player myself, unless you count occasional laptop YouTube sessions.

But there are a LOT of East Asian brands now you can check out. If you haven’t been to the dedicated DAP forum at head-fi, I recommend it.

you could get a Fiio M5 for cheaper.

Fiio M6 has Spotify.

A good option is just repurposing an old smartphone.

[ed]

Or maybe not since Android limits the sampling rate?

IIRC, Bluetooth doesn’t typically have enough bandwidth to play CD quality audio (or better).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got my old nVidia Shield tablet working, at least for the moment and I discovered that it will play Amazon Music HD with no problems. By no problems I mean it will play cd quality music. I kinda liked the Fiio M6 but couldn’t find the Amazon Music HD app without going to Google Play, which I don’t think that device can do. It will let you install apps but you need the ,apk file. Anyway I’ve got my somewhat portable music setup and it’ll work until I find something else. I did find this though. It’s Samsung’s version of a iPod. Don’t know how well it works, but it’s in the size range I’m looking for.

8 Gb onboard plus an SD slot that only takes a 32 Gb card isn’t going to carry much lossless music.

I have about half a terabyte of OGG or FLAC music stored. I’d love to find the machine I can carry that all with me.

Not sure if you understood what I meant by size. I meant physical size not memory size. Of course I would like something that can use a 1 terabyte micro-SD.

Oh, yeah, misunderstood.

The aptX Bluetooth codec is high-performing and very reliable. Through a good DAC I’ll take it over Wi-Fi any day.