What scares you?

Something just at the edge of my peripheral vision that’s staying at the edge of my peripheral vision…Cthulhu mythos done right pushes me enough into that zone thatll make me freak out.

I had this dream once where i was in a square room. There was a door behind me that opened towards me, and a door on the joining wall that opened into the next room. Both doors were closed. The room was lit with a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling with one of those old fashioned pull string link-chains. I walked towards the door in front of me and pushed it open. It revealed a room almost exactly the same as the one i was in, but it was dark, with a (push) door on the left wall. From the light coming from my room, i could see the light bulb in the center of the room, so i walked towards it, and pulled the chain to turn it on. I left the door open behind me, and went to open the door to the third room. It was nearly identical to this one (and the previous one), with the light bulb and the door on the left. I entered the room and turned the light on, and proceeded to the closed door. I deduced already that i was likely going through 4 identical rooms counterclockwise, and that was proven true when i opened the door and found the 4th room identical to the other three. So i then went to turn the light on, and then proceeded to open the door to my starting room.

Except the light was out. That was odd. So i went in and turned the light on. Hmm. The door in front of me was closed. That shouldn’t be. So I went through it. Maybe i miscounted? No, that doesn’t seem likely. I turned on the light and went and opened the now-closed door to find the same situation. The light was off and far door was closed. I entered the room, turned the light on and paused. This was really strange. The switch was binary - on or off. I wasnt turning it off, nor was i closing the doors behind me. As i stopped and thought about it a moment, there was a sound behind me, i turned to look towards the room behind me(which i could only see a fragment of, even through the open door), and I could see the light was still on. But now i recognized the sound…it was a door closing. And as I watched, i heard the pull string ratchet down and then the light went off. And I WOKE THE FUCK UP FROM THAT SHIT.

I’m a lucid dreamer, and thanks to sleep apnea, i’ve had some really fucked up dreams, but that was probably the one that scared the shit out of me the most.

Oh, other than the thing that scared me awake one night, and then after i got up, had some milk, watched some tv, and then went back to sleep, only to have it in my dream again and say “So you thought you could get away from me that easy, did you?” Ya, that was a fucking horror moment too.

Drop bears.

(Can’t really think of a tangible thing I have a serious fear about - most of mine are more abstract and probably fairly common and unsurprising. Things near my eyes super-duper squick me out (one of the reasons I don’t bother with contact lenses), which isn’t the same as a fear.)

Vacuum decay…

And when I was 12 I had this nightmare about a possessed tapir.

Whatever is behind those ancient Hebrew names in forbidden texts.

Shadow people are generally nice in a kooky way but the hat man is spooky.

…and that’s enough karma for one day.

When I was a kid we lived in an old house. Very old. The heating unit in the basement was one of those asbestos coated octopus types. You know, rounded pipes disappearing into the ceiling like a creature from The Thing. When it came on it made a rather explosive noise when the motor started spewing vaporized oil into the sucker. Not very efficient.

Anyway, I was told that the oil was what caused the boom at the beginning.

For a long time I would lay awake listening for the starting sound. I pictured the whole thing exploding and killing everyone.

I was a weird kid. Also easily terrified.

Next up: The air conditioner in my bedroom is talking in a strange language.

One of the most traumatizing scenes of my childhood.

Debt.
Heights.

That’s it.