What the God damn fucking hell is up with Southwest Airlines

Lufthansa would very much like to, as would many other foreign airlines. Unfortunately, the US government bans all foreign airlines from serving domestic routes. Yay globalization and free trade! Right?

I think there are some exceptions, like one connection from an inbound flight or several partnerships that foreign airlines have formed with US airlines to get around this restriction.

Dude, we should look for each other. I’m the one with a Pavlovian gift for deep sleep before the plane even takes off. I only fly that route about 5 or 6 times a year, but always try to do it on Frontier now. I usually take their first morning flight on a Monday or Tuesday and return in the evening Thursday or Friday.

I tried Southwest once - the cattle call is bullshit. I’m not sitting on the floor for 2 hours to hold a spot in line so I don’t get a shitty seat. With Frontier, I have the timing down cold, I live a mile from the Stapleton park & ride, and leave my house about 90 minutes before takeoff.

United has been OK but once was very late (with the 1st flight of the day!) AND lost my carry-on that they made me check.

My destination is near the loop, I always take the orange line both ways now. The return trip is usually near rush hour, and that is kind of an overcrowded drag. But a cabbie terrified me on one rainy evening (“Hey, we’ve got plenty of time. And so much to live for. Really, no rush”). I like the certainty & cheapness of the train.

Interesting. Way back when, WestJet did this to us, couched in different terms: they announced a bet with the Calgary WestJet boarding crew as to who could board a 737 faster. By making us Edmonton passengers party to the bet, they immediately had us on their side. We were done in about 6 minutes. Sure, they probably did that with every flight, but it got us on the plane ridiculously fast and with smiles on everyone’s faces.