What the hell happened to country music?

Look, I live in a relatively redneck rural area. That means I unfortunately get to hear this newer iteration of Country that has infected the genre over the past decade. Forget rowdy songs about drinking, fighting, loving, etc. Now it’s slow dirgy shit all about what it means to be “country”. How the singer ain’t afraid to get down his knees. How Grandpa taught him when to fight and when to listen. How tractor pulls were the best. Whatever.

My neighbor just treated me to this song twice.

It’s total shit.

Anyway, rant over. Just trying to chill on my porch without hearing shitty country music.

Post your shittiest or awesomest country songs in here.

Dunno about the awful stuff, but this thread is a great source for the good stuff:

Like a lot of things, 9/11 (and particularly the rural, Fox News driven boogie-man version of the event) seems to be responsible.

Thanks. That other thread mentions a new artist I’ve been following: Sarah Shook & The Disarmers. I was supposed to check her out in August in Morgantown, WV, but she canceled due to Covid concerns.

To answer the question in the title, I’ve always found this a good read/listen:

For counter-recommendations, check out the other thread. My personal modern-day recommendations are Sturgill Simpson, Tyler Childers, Colter Wall, Margo Price, and Charley Crockett.

This chick just passed through town on Labor Day weekend and played a great set at a local coffee house.

https://youtu.be/f_Vt72dUQu4

I always liked this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCF-JMQW3GA

Country music is and has always largely been a diverse genre, I don’t think it can be pigeonholed so easily. I wouldn’t call it a “right wing” genre or all slow dirges at all.

You got pop stuff like Luke Combs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyxFMbqKYA&t=184s
You got alternative voices like Sturgill Simpson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSMoBp8awM
Gay masked cowboys like Orville Peck:

An then you got some pretty raunchy parodies like Wheeler Walker, Jr (Ben Hoffman) (NSFW):

So I never listened to country music until I met my wife. Her family’s loved it for decades, and I’ve had the opportunity to listen to a lot of it, both old and new. I make no claims to be an expert, but here are my observations.

Something’s definitely changed. Or at least it feels that way.

Thinking back to older country stars, it brings to mind a lot of songs that fall into one of two categories:

1. Songs that are about universally understood topics, like love and longing and heartbreak
  2. Songs that are about more a specific topic, that are sung from the point of view of a “character” -rather than the literal singer. For example, when Garth Brooks is doing “Thunder Road”, that’s clearly not a true life story.

At some point, songs in the second category (maybe?) began to change. They became about topics that are even more specific, and the singers weren’t necessarily playing characters (or at least it wasn’t obvious). For example, for a 90’s example, maybe “Pickup Man” by Joe Diffie.

Then, over time, this new category became more and more prevalent. Part of it, I think, is that listeners strongly identified with them. Hey, I also drive pickups and like beer and pretty girls!.

The other part of it is that it seems to give the performer a certain amount of credibility with their audience. The performer may be a gazillionaire, but all they have to do is sing about dirt roads and small towns, and their fans think they’re just like them!

(seriously, there was a stretch of time a few years back where I lost count of how many songs specifically talked about living in “small towns”. It was one of several phrases that you could seemingly toss onto a lyrics sheet in order to create an acceptable country music song).

All of which to say that nowadays, a lot of it is about signaling and identity. Which does indeed line up with a lot of what we’re seeing out of right wing politics these days.

The other weird thing is that country music seems to be going through an identity crisis (though depending on who you ask, they may tell you that this isn’t the first time it’s happened). Is country music defined by the instruments? The subject matter? The twang of the voice? I have no idea, and apparently no one else does either. Because you have folks like Walker Hayes and Sam Hunt getting lots of airplay, and a whole lot of people who say they ‘aren’t country’.

PS - Also, the sexism is (still!) off the charts. For some reason, I find that the women of country music make far more interesting stuff, but they still have to fight like hell to get decent airtime on Country Radio (which I capitalize here because for whatever reason country music seems to care about radio play more than other genres, to the point of giving it shout outs at awards shows). Meanwhile, you have men playing songs with lyrics that all but explicitly state “I want to have sex with you (in the grass, the in bar, in my truck, etc)”, that are all but guaranteed to get onto every station’s playlists.

This is another topic that Netflix’s recent doc series, This is Pop, had an episode on.

“When Country Goes Pop” covered the genre changes pretty well.

Grew up with country music even if I didn’t usually choose it if I was making the choice (think car trips before walkmans). These days most of what I would consider country (mostly having to do with it telling some sort of story) comes from Texas/Red Dirt or Appalachia (which I know less about by far). I don’t mind some of the Nashville stuff, and at least they’ve moved away somewhat from the bro-country crap of the early 2010s, but it’s still very poppy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not really country in my view. Grady Smith, a former print entertainment reporter, has a good country music youtube channel that often goes over this sort of debate with some pretty good nuance.

Josh Abbot Band
Randy Rogers
Flatland Cavalry
Midland (a great bridge between poppy and traditional country)
Parker Mccollum
Wade Bowen
Mike and the Moonpies
Ashley McBride
Triston Marez

These are some of the artists working the Texas scene that come to mind.

Yep, this is the Country music I’m talking about. And I think that’s what appeals to the Redneck Male - the pickups, the pretty girls, the gravel roads, etc. And the majority of what I hear blaring out of these mammoth, super-shiny, boat-sized pickups are all variations on this type of schtick.

There’s a ton of good artists being mentioned in here, I just wish they’d get some airtime with the shitkickers.

So, I have a confession here. Not one of shame though. I was firmly in the, “old country was the only real country,” camp. I heard someone on the radio speaking about that but more on that later. My time with country music was with my Dad. He liked everything, but he listened to country in his car and would sing along with many songs. Though George Strait was his fave, he had many older and newer artists he liked. And … that was about the biggest amount of time I spent with country music, until very recently. Understand that was 80s up until about 2000ish and mostly second hand. Then my father died and I had a bit of a messy time listening to anything he liked as it would remind me of him and the feelings were too raw.

Along comes a few months ago and I pick up and have been playing Farming Simulator 22 here since release. And almost jokingly, I tuned to a pop country -streaming- channel that was built in to the game. I thought, I’m roleplaying a farmer here, I should jam out to some country tunes. And what was playing on that stream but a throwback, a George Strait song. And I sang along. Then a new song came on, and I listened. It didn’t stick immediately, but I left that station on because it passed the time a little better in-game. And not but a day or two later, I was humming the melody to a few of the songs and singing small pieces I could remember. The thing, probably one of the BEST things about country isn’t necessarily the content, it’s the ability to hear the words and understand them fairly well. They can still cover complicated subjects, but many can also be just about letting go … having fun … remembering the good things about being younger, etc.

And some of the voices of those singing it are annoying, but on the flip side of that, some are very memorable. Not sing-song voices, but being belted out with some hard feeling. I did NOT expect as much of that. And that brings me back to what whoever that person was saying on a radio station I flipped on, or maybe it was youtube, I don’t remember now. But their subject was that we have so many generational people in regards to country fans, meaning, they listened during a particular decade and that was the only defining country for them. We don’t have as many decade based country music channels, so that leaves them with, usually, “nothing on today is good,” or, “old country was the only real country.” And that threw me for a loop, I’m very much one of those voices.

So I’ve given today’s pop country a shot, and strangely, I really like some of the artists.

Back to Luke Combs, everything about the kid, and I’m calling him that because damn he’s young, matches me. From North Carolina, lived in Huntersville and Ashville, went to college in the mountains, gave up the country because his mom and dad weren’t listening to it anymore and was all set to live his life and go on to be a detective (this is where we stopped being the same.) And then he heard a country concert and it spurred him to listen a bit more and sing it. And holy fuck can that kid sing. Not a light voice either, he belts songs out like he means business.

How can I NOT like him. Or some of the voices I’ve heard in the last few weeks? Granted, there are still some that annoy me. Either their voices, or their a bit too right leaning subject matter, etc. But a lot of them are good.

To be frank, in todays country music scene, it’s some of the older artists checking in with somewhat trite songs that annoy me. Some of the newer artists are still trying to work for their fame versus trying to pay for a fifth vacation home. It shows.