What the Hell Happened to /Film?

Yeah, but he looked really cool.

Yes pls

Speaking of which, is Sight & Sound still around? I used to subscribe to that when magazines were normal and I loved it.

Checks Internet: yep

I read Sight & Sound for a long time in the 90s and into the 2000s, but ultimatelly it was just too dry and the reviews too synopsisy (no offence Kelly!), so I dropped it.

That’s kinda why I can’t bring myself to watch that show. I am looking forward to that Obi-Wan show though, because I like McGregor’s performance a lot

I am worried about the writing though, so… waves hand back and forth

It’s disappointing to see these sites pivot away from offering original perspectives on movies and directors that would struggle to be covered outside of the super niche festival circuit towards conglomerate filmmaking and droll takes on the clickbait pop culture beef of the day. The A.V. Club has been circling the drain for a while now, but Dowd, Rife and the odd appearance from Ignatiy kept me coming back.

Ugh, not that the A.V. Club has been great under the management of G/O Media, but they’re now getting sold off. Apparently Sam Barsanti, one of the few remaining bright lights, is now a bright light no longer employed by the A.V. Club. And what’s worse, it looks like G/O Media still retains The Onion, but is shopping it around separately. Splitting up The Onion and The A.V. Club to different owners? That’s like splitting up two elderly dogs that have been together since they were littermates.

How many times has the A/V Club been sold? Weren’t they owned by Univision at one point?

Yeah, apparently from 2016 until 2019.