What's Going on in Austin?

Two explosions today, and apparently there was one recently. One woman badly injured.

CNN says package bombs.

Actually the 1st was apparently March 2nd, though I don’t remember reading or hearing anything about it. A good example I guess of just how chaotic things are. How does that slip by without being the top story in the news?

There are more than a handful of stories it seems every year of package bombs or packages with poison or similar stuff, usually here and there. Two in close sequence like these tend to get more coverage once it’s seen as more than an isolated incident.

Or, the cynic in me says that because these bombs targeted African-Americans, no one thought it was newsworthy.

Kind of off topic but CNN recently ran a few hours long series on Patty Hearst and the SLA. I had no idea the SLA was also involved in both car bombing police vehicles and sending out package bombs. Probably because they weren’t very good at it, thankfully.

But living in California I had heard nothing about bombings in Austin.

Same here, just heard about it this morning on my news alerts.

This is the first I’ve heard about this.

Someone pointed out that the Unabomber killed 3 people over 17 years and was a Huge Deal.

Meanwhile this person is already almost there in under a week and no one seems to give a shit.

It’s because the initial targets were black. And back when the unablmber was doing his thing, America was “normal” and didn’t have a crack fueled news cycle, plus didn’t have a psycho running the country.

Well this story did hit the local news on the weekend. They even led with the latest bombing. But very little actual “news” on the bombing, just footage of cops at night. Nothing about the victims or possible motives.

The police have asked the person responsible what they want and what message they want to convey. Knowing what we all know now, that is most assuredly an attempt to narrow down the police focus. The same with the bomb materials, the explosive used, the placement method, etc.

The fact that the bomb today was in a FedEx facility is troubling, as if the bomber does find a method to get things through normal mail process, these things could end up anywhere.

And another tonight, this time at a Goodwill. One man seriously injured.

Incendiary device, not a bomb, possibly completely unrelated?

What’s the difference between a bomb and an incendiary device? No timer on the incendiary device? Most of my knowledge about explosives comes from Looney Tunes cartoons.

One is designed to do explosive/concussive damage and the other one intended to start a huge fire.

An “incendiary device” could be as simple as a glass bottle filled with gasoline. It doesn’t necessarily take any skill or effort to make and you could just buy the materials at a store.

Austin bombing suspect is dead after blowing self up with explosive, sources say

http://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/live-austin-bombing-suspect-is-dead-after-blowing-self-up-with-explosive-sources-say/269-530544047

Well let’s hope that puts an end to that.

24-year-old white male. Hmmmmm…