What's the coolest Downtempo music?

So I recently found out about this genre . . . if you can call it that, called Downtempo. This is the music you listen to when you’re a laid back club (not the trance dance music kind), or that you here often in recent movies during a montage scene. It’s a kind of electronica groove, but very low tempo and low energy.

Does anyone know what the best of the best of this genre is?

since you’re from DC, i would highly suggest Thievery Corporation who own and operate the 18th Street Lounge

These are my personal album recommendations for you:
Massive Attack. Mezzanine.
Zero 7. Simple things.
Kruder & Dorfmeister. G-Stoned EP.

Oh yeah. Downtempo chicks are hot.*

Seconded on the above suggestions (esp. Mezzanine, which is one of my favorite albums ever); also:

Cinematic Orchestra – Motion
Bliss – They Made History
Air – Moon Safari
Morcheeba – Big Calm
dZihan & Kamien – Freaks & Icons

Roger – hadn’t heard Zero 7 before, thanks for the tip!

Kids today! Wasn’t this called “chillout” back when? Usually played in the room people go when the drugs aren’t working out alright at the party :)

Downtempo is a pretty broad category. I’ll try and touch on a few different kinds of sounds that it covered.

I think St. Germaine really kicked downtempo into a lot of people’s consciousness in 1998 or 99 though downtempo really got started in about 94.

Thievery Corporation and a bunch of the bands on their ESL Music label were known for downtempo.

The ninja tune label was also in there with bands like 9 lazy 9

Morcheeba was another big one.

There was plenty of crossover though with bands that were known more for breakbeat or new jazz stuff but would do some slower stuff that would fit in the downtempo genre. For example Portishead or DJ Greyboy.

Downtempo kind of fractured in the 2000’s with a lot of the more electronic sounding bands disappearing and a lot of the remaining bands renewing forgotten musical avenues. Latin jazz (Nicola Conte, Gerardo Frisina), afrobeat, reggae and dub, funk and soul and even music that emulated old film soundtracks all started flourishing from bands that got started with downtempo stuff.

*ran out of time. will add some more examples later.

Air! Thanks, Talisker. I forgot to recommend some Air. Probably because they’re French.

Guapo – Rhapsody has TONS of this if you’re looking to check out a bunch of different stuff.

I just saw Thievery Corporation live last Friday (at SF outside lands) and it was a kickass show, much more exciting then you might expect from an electronic-based band.

I second the Cinematic Orchestra recommendation. Gotan Project is another group I always go back to when I’m looking to relax a bit.

Short and lazy answer

Longer answer based on much listening: Funki Porcini, Nightmares on Wax, Lemon Jelly (screw you, it counts), Royksopp, The Herbaliser (downtempo X hip-hop except for their live sets which rock, NOT trip-hop), Boards of Canada occasionally, Amon Tobin occasionally, Tricky (of Massive Attack fame), MR SCRUFF (a personal favourite, especially Keep it Unreal) and in fact most of the Ninja Tune and off-shoot labels, Prefuse 73.

Plus, of course, all the stuff above. Drteeth hit a few missed nails.

'course, I don’t think down-tempo stuff shouldn’t make you want to move about. You might try sliding from there into nu-jazz, trip-hop or other similar genres. Still chill-out room style stuff, although nu-jazz has more swing and is easier to dance to. Or was, some of this stuff can feel a bit dated now.

Third’d on Air & Cinematic Orchestra. Both great.

2nd’d Thievery Corporation & Massive Attack.

I’d throw in Boards of Canada as well.

As always, go to Pandora and type in any of these bands and discover music you like.

Wow, people have pretty much covered the bases while I was getting my shit together. Kirian produced a laundry list of good stuff and like him I preferred my downtempo slightly more uptempo.

Japan’s Shibuya Kei sound deserves mention as they helped kick off a nostalgic trend with groups like Fantastic Plastic Machine and Pizzicato Five that I think inspired acts like Skeewif, Mr. Scruff and The Bobby Hughes Experience.

Yeah seriously. I was super exited to see this thread (as well as the dubstep thread) and then… have nothing more to offer :(

Yeah but seriously buy every single album by Thievery Corporation.

Thievery Corporation did a show for Austin City Limits several months ago. They were flat-out great.

TC is expensive live, but I found it to be well worth it each time

Blue States - Diamente

Röyksopp - Eple

Télépopmusik - Breathe

Lemon Jelly - Spacewalk

Air - Surfing on a Rocket

Air - Alpha Beta Gaga

Peace Orchestra - Meister Petz

I love Blue States …

Blue States - Golden Touch

Blue States - Elios Therepia

Blue States - Cherio Manoli