What's the deal with tap water

I drink bottled water due to the taps and pipes here being very very old and the water tastes like shit. Its bottled mineral water from a place called Larvik in Norway, where the water is filtered through the mountain in a 15-20 year process, combinded with a reservour that has water thousands of years old.

It contains Natrium, Magnesium, Calsium, Calium, Cloride, Hydrogen Carbonate, Sulfate, Silisum.

https://www.norwill.com/productlist.asp?cat=42&id=227

Just regular water in a bottle or mineral water? In the latter case, you’re amazingly wrong and really need to taste some water from a mineral spring.

Well, this can quickly boil down to you say/I say - but I have tasted a bunch of the fancy mineral water from expensive restaurants with an actual Water List on card. I stand by my assesment. I’d love to subject you to a blindtest, but can’t see how that can be done.
It’s water and that’s what it tastes like.

Hanzii, you’re DK right?

Compare a bottle of Farris, I am sure its available in DK, with your tap water, you are not able to taste the difference?

Stop right there. Yeah, all the waters I’ve ever drunk in restaurants (how fancy or expensive they are doesn’t matter) always taste completely neutral. I suppose they’re specifically chosen for neutral taste so that they don’t clash with the flavor of your other drinks.

What you need to do is go to a supermarket with a good selection of drinks and try some of the varieties that are sold as Heilwasser (healing waters?). Those are the ones with a very high and varied content of minerals and other trace elements which give them a distinctive taste. You never see those in restaurants.

It’s water and that’s what it tastes like.

Fachinger which I’m drinking right now has, among others, lots of sodium cations and chloride anions. Which combine to form common salt. Do you think salt doesn’t have any taste either?

Bill,

As a homeowner in Las Vegas, you probably received something like this with your water bill:

Water delivered by the district meets or surpasses all state and federal drinking-water standards. But, what about that chlorine taste? While chlorine can affect taste perceptions, it is an essential part of the water treatment process. It’s presence doesn’t necessarily mean you have to switch to bottled water - which can cost up to 3,000 times more than what comes from your tap.

[I]Here are some easy ways to improve the flavor of your tap water:

1 - Put a pitcher of tap water in the refrigerator overnight. This allows chlorine to dissipate. After just a few hours, you’ll notice a remarkable improvement in flavor.

2 - Add a lemon slice. You’ll add zest and flavor, masking the chlorine taste.

3 - Filter your water. There are hundreds of filter options at varying costs, but an inexpensive activated carbon filter, like those found in affordable carafe systems, can improve taste and odor perceptions associated with chlorine.[/I]

:)

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000007F0-6DBD-1ED9-8E1C809EC588EF21

http://www.anglingmatters.com/ww_it_tastes.htm

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/exesum.asp

The best tasting water in the whole world comes out of my tap, from a 220 foot deep well in my front yard. No chlorine, no mineral taste, just pure clean cold water.

The tap water here in Switzerland tastes great!

The tapwater here tastes fine to me.

Remember that a lot of bottled water “manufacturers” take water from municipal sources, which means a town’s water supply. They may distill it and filter it, but it’s coming from the same place.

When I fill the bath with my tap water in Salt Lake City, it smells like the city pool. Yeah, it’s gross but you get used to it, I guess. I also drank my grandparents’ well water, which tasted like the tailpipe of my '76 Impala. Free stuff always tastes better. Storing water in the fridge does work, if you’re not too lazy to do it.

Man, I don’t read that shit. I’m keepin it real!

Gross! At least it doesn’t contain sodium.

I’ve always been fond of that water in the fridge. My favourite way to drink water is to put it in a bottle, then freeze it until about 3-4 mm of ice builds up on the inside of the bottle, then squeeze it and crack the ice, and shake it up. Now that’s cold water.

Incidentally, I just got my 2005 Annual Water Quality Report in the mail today.

I will not type it up for you. But you may view the report online.

The coolest part is where they list Gross Beta Particle Activity, Gross Alpha Particle Activity, Radium 226/228, and Uranium.

I’m gonna go have me another glass right now!

Jason, our tap water tastes like crap here too. My parents well water tastes much better and so does a lot of bottled water. I’ve almost thought of adding a touch of sugar to a a jug of water in the fridge to make it taste nicer. PUR water conditioner thing doesn’t help much and costs way too much with the amount of water we drink.

Aha, after some googling, its the same thing. :-)

Followup: fill a jug with water and put it in the fridge for a couple days appears to be the magic trick to convert bitter Seattle tap water into candyliciousness. No filtering necessary.

I’m pretty happy with San Diego tap.

Amarillo, TX, where I grew up, for all its flaws, had fabulous tap water from the Oogalala Aquifer. Special bonus: The water had Fluoride and Lithium naturally occurring in it. This must be why I wasn’t bothered by being bipolar until after I left for college. :)

I don’t like standing water as much as freshly drawn. Also, if you’re a tea drinker, never make tea with standing water.

The difference between standing water and freshly drawn is that the freshly drawn water is more aerated (which does, admittedly, make it taste better). Leaving it in the fridge for a day or two allows the residual chlorine in the water to dissapate, though (which also makes it taste better). To solve the conundrum, leave your water in the fridge for a day or two, but leave some air space at the top of the container. When you go to use it, shake it up vigorously. Now it’s aerated like water fresh out of the tap, but without the chlorine.

Wouldn’t that just mix the chlorine back into the water? Or does the chlorine dissipate through the bottle or the cap to the outside somehow? Or change into a non-chlorine tasting chlorine?
Or maybe the chlorine is still there but you don’t taste it as much because the water is cold.