What's the skinny on Capcom?

RE 4 on the Cube

And? I didn’t have a PC until late 2002, but I could name off the major PC developers and publishers merely through exposure to the medium. Your story is questionable in that it sounds either fake or like you’re willfully ignorant. How did you find Qt3 to ask that question before, oh, I don’t know, Googling Capcom?

Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry (some number and subtitle), and Onimusha 3.[/quote]

See, that’s why your initial post is strange to me. I thought you were saying you rented a bunch of Xbox games and the Capcom ones you played ON THERE were the best. Considering Capcom has released a pile of garbage on there except Steel Battalion (which you can’t rent) and maybe the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, I didn’t understand how you arrived at your conclusion.

Now the three games you name there, they’re very good. I’m curious what else you’ve been playing though, that Capcom came out on top?

Oh… in case you didn’t know… this place is about as hardcore as it gets on the Internet when it comes to games. The only other board that’s similar is http://forums.gaming-age.com and if you had posted this over there, the responses you see in this thread would seem ludicrously tame by comparison. Just an FYI.

–Dave

[quote=“MattKeil”]

And? I didn’t have a PC until late 2002, but I could name off the major PC developers and publishers merely through exposure to the medium. Your story is questionable in that it sounds either fake or like you’re willfully ignorant. How did you find Qt3 to ask that question before, oh, I don’t know, Googling Capcom?[/quote]

Sorry, pal, straightforward question. Nothing more. And, oh, I don’t know, coming to a game forum to ask a question about games doesn’t seem that off the wall.

And most questions asked on this forum could be answered with google. Shall we all leave and go googling?

Why on earth would november be lying about not knowing who Capcom was? Why are you all so skeptical? Are we really that jaded? I don’t mean jaded about games, but jaded in that we just assume this guy can’t be for real, with no particular evidence.

My dad knows who Mario is, he knows Microsoft makes the Xbox and Sony makes the Playstation, he would probably recognize Halo if he saw me playing it. He doesn’t have any real interest in games though. If he were to decide on a whim to go through my collection and start trying out video games, I’m sure he’d have no idea who Capcom was either. Or Square, or Bungie, or Rockstar (well, probably after the last month he’d recognize that name). What’s so unbelievable about november’s story?

He said he’s lurked here for a year. You think we haven’t talked about Capcom at all in a year? Not once? I doubt it.

–Dave

He did say in the other thread he made that he’s mainly into RTS games and such, so mainly he just read the threads on those types of games.

Bingo!

I was impressed that in the huge pile of rented games only the Capcom games were good. And I didn’t rent one of their’s that was bad, although I’m sure they’re out there.

He did say in the other thread he made that he’s mainly into RTS games and such, so mainly he just read the threads on those types of games.[/quote]

OK, then. I’ve only given serious answers. I was taking him at face value. Some of it reads very trollish though. There’s no question about that IMO.

–Dave

I presume most of us in our generation have gone to a video arcade at some point of time? You know, those places which flash CAPCOM in every Capcom cabinet? Back when Street Fighter was new?

This persona comes in, claims to be a gamer and to even have played Planescape, Deus Ex, etc, and doesn’t know what Capcom is?

Claims to have lurked for a year?

Starts two controversial threads among his first few posts? One claiming not to know about Capcom, and the second, pish-toshing PC games as having no story?

Ladies and gentlemen, let us apply our minds. Is it possible that Mr november is merely ignorant? Yes. Is it likely? I would submit that the answer must be no.

He is a troll.

And? I didn’t have a PC until late 2002, but I could name off the major PC developers and publishers merely through exposure to the medium. Your story is questionable in that it sounds either fake or like you’re willfully ignorant. How did you find Qt3 to ask that question before, oh, I don’t know, Googling Capcom?[/quote]

Sorry, pal, straightforward question. Nothing more. And, oh, I don’t know, coming to a game forum to ask a question about games doesn’t seem that off the wall.

And most questions asked on this forum could be answered with google. Shall we all leave and go googling?[/quote]

If your question is the equivalent of going into a comic book forum and asking what Marvel is, then yeah, Google should probably be on your itinerary.

Someone ought to try that. Be a fun experiment. :)

Actually, november is probably typing up his “Who is Marvel? These guys are awesome!” post right now for Books, comics, TV, music.

–Dave

But without the pee drinking.

Marvel? They licensed some neat Capcom games!

You said it’s just a straightforward question. What question did you have again? You already like the games. Assuming that you’ve neatly dodged the early 1990s, what sort of response were you looking for?
“Yeah, they are a video game company” You already knew that.
“RE4 and DMC are good games” You already knew that.

“Who, what, where?” doesn’t make any sense.

Go and buy the megaman collection for Xbox and relive my childhood.

He’s not. Kitsune created the persona just so he could have an reason to post his Capcom essay.

He’s not. Kitsune created the persona just so he could have an reason to post his Capcom essay.[/quote]

I’ve never owned a handheld. I don’t have a PSP, DS, or a Gameboy (although my son has the latter). I don’t plan to get one. I have never played an arcade game in an arcade. I don’t plan to. I never played a console game until this summer except to help my kids with theirs. I have never played a MMO game.

I know who Nintendo is but I don’t have a sense of their game development history. Same with Sony. Same with the other console game makers. Capcom seems to specialize in spin offs and so they must have a history with different franchises, but I couldn’t tell you what they are.

More? I don’t have mad skillz and I couldn’t care less if you do. I love games but realize that the game world is filled with sweaty little creeps with the social skills of a stripped bass.

I’m convinced that gaming is an emerging art form struggling to shed the crowd of self-conscious, precious, and pretentious hedonists that have the creativity and maturity of a rock bass.

If you think I’m some kind of super-Machiavelli troll who studied forumers in order to design a post that would drive them mad, you’re a moron.

So but seriously you let your 10 year old play RE4?

What do you have against bass?