What's the verdict so far on Project Fi?

My wife’s 5x apparently has the dreaded boot loop issue. I bounced around a bit between Project Fi and LG support, but LG will be fixing it for free even though it’s out of the 12 month warranty. Only problem is it’s gone for up to two weeks and my wife is traveling.

Thankfully we still have a couple of older phones from our Virgin Mobile days. I managed to get her up and running using Hangouts so she can get texts and make calls, but only on wifi at this time (this phone had an issue with it’s SIM slot). It’s definitely far from perfect, but at least she’s able to communicate through her phone number when she’s at home/work (although for some reason Hangouts won’t ring when she’s got an incoming phone call).

I did find out one thing that’s kind of neat about Project Fi. They’ll send you an additional data-only SIM card for your account for free, so you can use it in whatever device you have that supports it. Data gets used from your plan like normal. If the SIM card on her old phone wasn’t buggy, this would have worked for her when she was off wifi until LG sent back her 5x.