What's the verdict so far on Project Fi?

You don’t happen to have a pixel? Those have a mic issue, there’s actually a $500 settlement offer right now.

Nope, a iPhone 7S large. I switched to Google when they offered to work with iPhones.

I think they’re using T-Mobile; out here only AT&T and Verizon have decent networks, Sprint and T-Mobile are notorious for barely functioning.

Oh, sorry to hear that. I’ve had Tmobile since I got a smartphone IIRC a bit past the Razr days.

$70/mo for one user, scaling down as you add more to $45/line for 4-6 users. Video at 480p, 22GB before potential deprioritization. I would’ve personally preferred a lowering of the cost per GB, but this is a decent option for someone who is constantly hitting the bill protection cap (currently at 6GB/$80 a month).

Bye Fi!

Even though i had a decently low Google Number - and literally the worker at the AT&T store was bragging about his sub-20 Google Account Number - everyone immediately told me the call quality was much clearer with AT&T. So despite AT&T’s customer facing service being horrible, that an online-only order was impossible to complete at home and i had to spend an hour and a half waiting in the AT&T store for no reason at all - clearly AT&T corporate has some kind of pyschological scheduling management going on - and despite i was double billed and had to get AT&T to reverse the change a couple hours later… $25/ month for a year of 8gb data service. I mean, that’s better than Fi, and the signal is about 10x better than Fi.

Sorry Fi, it’s not you, it’s T-Mobile’s barely functional service where I live.

I thought people can’t understand what I’m saying because I have a Pixel 3? Not because of the Fi Service?

My wife was very reluctant to get a Pixel 3a for that reason. She said “am I going to sound as horrible in my phone calls as you sound on the Pixel 3?”. The answer was “Probably”.

Fi voice quality is heavily dependent on network quality. If the providers they’re buying bandwidth from in your area suck, voice quality is going to suck.

We had similar issues with the network reliability and quality so are back with Verizon.

I switched to Google Fi and could not be happier. I have had no problems, and have not had anyone tell me about call quality problems from my end.

/blinks in Halloween

Check your Fi app - Google is giving away Nest Minis to US subscribers. Mine is estimated to arrive on January 30th.

It says I have a free gift, but then when I click through it wants to charge me $52.

Mine shows up as costing $49 but there is a note below that says the credit is applied at checkout.

When I checked out it showed a price of $52 (including tax). No indication that it’s actually $0.

I’m checking with Support now, which is always entertaining with Fi.

I tried to get the free Mini by linking my Spotify account, but the promo code it gives me gets a 500 from the Google store so :shrug:

I replaced the google home mini with a nest mini in my bathroom. I use it to play music whilst I S3 (showering, shaving & shitting). It sounds much better-- the home mini had trouble getting loud enough to be heard over the shower at less than max volume, but the nest mini is much, much louder.

Order status and the email confirmation also show $52.

Apparently I’m going to be having a very cultured Monday morning, listening to classical music on hold for Google.

Annnnd… resolved. Some mess up around account details somewhere in their records, but fixed now and an actually free Nest will be on its way.

I just did the offer (thanks for mentioning it here or I never would have seen it!) and it applied the discount. Cool, I’ve been wanting one to go with our Alexa because I think Google is much better about answering questions.

I’m thinking about leaving Google Fi and wanted to port my number to a new carrier. How long do I need to wait before Google will transfer my number? I’m also wanting to bring my phone and was wondering if I can still use my phone while waiting? Since I got rid of comcast, I lost all those xfinity hotspots and my google bill went from $35 to $40 a month to $80 a month. I can switch to verizon or ATT for the same price and not have to worry about being throttled. Anyway any information provided will be greatly appreciated .

Fi does have an option for unlimited data and I also think another option to make it so it doesn’t get throttled after 22 GB.