What's your BMI (Body Mass Index)?

Please also specify where you’re from. We want to keep this as open and translucent as possible.

Here’s the calculator:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm

Thank you.

I’m just over into Obesity (30,2). I haven’t been able to do much serious training for the last two years due to various injuries, but i aim to lose about 10 kg over this winter.

26.5, but BMI is a really crappy system for anyone that’s even moderately muscled. I don’t mean bulky even, just the normal muscle density that comes with regular workouts. I’ve worked out as my lunch break 3-4x a week for 20 years and reasonably fit (33 inch waist, 5’11), but not obviously muscular or bulky, just normal levels of a 40-something, in shape, but with 10 pounds of love handles kind of guy.

BMI makes it sound like I’m teetering on the edge of a total beer belly though.

1. So close, but I’m happy with myself and work out 5 days a week.

<-- location

34.4 on the BMI, which I tend to ignore and concentrate on the body fat percentage, which as of this morning was an even 21%, so yeah. The lowest BMI I can realistically drop to is 28.7, which would put me at close to 5.2% body fat (assuming the 40 pounds I would need to lose would all be fat) - which would be below the projected “athlete” level.

5.2% body fat would count as “overweight” by the BMI. So… yeah.

<---- location

23.2 – Right around where I should be.

Location – Oklahoma City

I’m with ckessel…BMI 26.6 but reasonably muscled from working out. Located in the great state of Texas.

21.8 Maryland.

6’1" 205lbs

27 BMI

<----- location

I’ve lost 10 pounds in the last few months just by not eating anymore shit. I will probably have to exercise to lose more, but I dread it.

But in populations, body types tend to balance out and BMI becomes more accurate.

Anyway, I’m at 24.0 on the nose and also exercise. I’m from Maine.

29.3 also what Ckessel said.

Unfortunately my body fat ratio is also too high…

Talking about body fat - do you people trust commercial scales that can measure body fat? Last time I worked with a professional dietitian he used a nasty set of pliers because he didn’t feel those electronic measures were good enough.

(location: Denmark)

6’ 4"

200lbs

BMI 24.3.

I think I’m at my best when I’m 185-190. When I work out consistently, my body naturally hovers around there. I’ve had a rough year though, so I’ve been hovering around 200-205. It isn’t bad, but not what I like. A lower back injury (plus sciatica) prevents me from exercising like I use to as well. :/

I’m blessed by height, so I don’t balloon up terribly from a poor diet.

Richmond, VA

Yeah, BMI is lousy for muscle mass. I’m at 25.1, which is just into overweight on the chart, but my body fat percentage is low. Also, I’m thinner than a cardboard cutout of John Sansker.

In the Marine Corps BMI is always used, with the subsequent “taping” or body measurement and physical fitness test evaluation for everyone who’s moderately muscled and fails. I’ve never been out of that pain in the ass zone, except for a brief period after boot camp where the catastrophic weight loss I suffered there made me lose a lot of muscle.

I love QT3 memes.

“Moderately muscled” no longer describes me, though I’ve been working on my body fat percentage. However, I’m secretly chortling about the BMI. Here’s why.

I work for a university. In exchange for less-than-industry wages, employees typically get great benefits: more leave time and more generous leave policies, lower health care costs, etc. However, we self-fund our own health care, and as part of the rising health care costs coupled with a really bad year in terms of state funding for higher education, our benevolent overlords have instituted a new health care premium system to be phased in over the next three years.

The cost breakdown is as follows: Premiums will increase by 120%. However, employees can eliminate all or part of the premium by the following:

[ol]
[li]Be tobacco-free or participate in a smoking cessation program (Eliminates 50% of premium increase).[/li][li]Stay within “normal” range according to specific biometrics (blood pressure, total cholesterol, BMI–Eliminates 25% of the premium).[/li][li]Participate in a “wellness program,” which means that employees need to sign up for a wellness discussion forum (wtf? How does this help? Answer, it doesn’t!–Eliminates remaining premium increase).[/li][/ol]
Obviously, for some people #1 will be a huge sticking point. For many more, #2 will be a bigger issue. Part of the requirements are reasonable. People should know if they need to take medication to control blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes–and the insurance doesn’t penalize you for having these conditions. Rather, it penalizes you if you fail to take steps to treat these conditions.

But BMI is different. Back when my body fat was extremely low for a woman, and when I was seeing abdominal muscles, my BMI ran closer to 27. The cut-off for premiums is 30.

The rationale for BMI is that it’s easy to calculate. Body fat percentages take more training to measure.

I’m chortling because I’ve seen some of the people who want to pass the buck along to the fat people. These people make a LOT more than the hourly staff, and have more flexible time to work out on campus. Our hourly staff haven’t been given the opportunity to get either reduced memberships to our rec centers or extra time to work out at lunch–both of which would be components of a meaningful wellness program instead of the stupid online community. But I’m chortling because a lot of these people who think that BMI penalizes fat people will discover that, despite their own workouts and fit physiques, their own BMI will be too high for the new metrics.

28.1. Dallas, TX. But as noted, BMI is a stupid measure.

Barring bodyfat percentage calculation, I just go on performance numbers (what’s my 400m time? what’s my deadlift?) and how my clothes fit. I wear a 32 waist, so I’m happy, although I could be a tad leaner.

24.8, DC, based on last weighing myself about a month and a half ago. I’m not sure how much that has to do with my so-called boyish figure, but I’ve just never had much of a shape, for a five-foot-three girl.

I’m at the lower end of the normal range – 19.1. Seattle area. According to my bathroom scale I’ve got a pretty low body fat percentage, though it’s a bit screwy and if I lie about my age I can get it drop 0.5%.

It’s worth pointing out that Asians/Asian Americans have slightly different ranges. Normal goes from 18.5 - 22.9 and overweight from 23.0 - 26.9.

19.8. An island near Seattle, Wa. What did I win?

Edit: beaten by Scott.