When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Looks perfect for my working easy bake oven computer case mod project.

Wow, so that April Foolā€™s prank video wasnā€™t that far off!

We need to go back to horizontal cases so the motherboard can lie flat to better support those behemoth GPUs.

Hell, even with my dual-slot 3060 Ti from EVGA I thought it prudent to support it with one of those L-shaped brackets. The card is just too heavy and long to be held in place solely by the slot and the I/O part at the back.

Unless Intel is also massively increasing cache size, I would expect highly CPU limited games like ACC & MSFS to benefit more from the higher end Ryzen 7000 CPUs, which have cache sizes on par with the 5800X3D.

I canā€™t think of any current titles beyond ACC & MSFS either! But I expect both future titles and retrofits of past titles, like Portal RTX, to make plenty of lighting and texture/resolution upscaling gains. Whether thatā€™s enough to merit an upgrade is questionable. Itā€™s why I caved and bought current gen parts when prices plummeted.

I need to upgrade soon and the 40 series seems to have enough neat little tricks to make me think Iā€™d go with that over the last generation or AMD version. But since these new cards are way too expensive and power hungry to be the ones I jump on Iā€™ll have time to see what AMD answers with before Nvidia has more reasonable cards next year.

There are plenty of games that would benefit from a more powerful graphics card at 4K with raytracing turned on. Not enough for me to pay this sort of money for one though. Happy to wait a couple more generations before upgrading my 3080.

Usually,the idea is to take a console game that maybe runs at 1440p @30fps and high details, and run it on PC at 4k@60fps and ultra details. Itā€™s to be seen what gpu is needed for that. Current consoles are still not being well exploited, they usually need a few years until the new games that were designed for the new generation from the ground up appear.

Yeah, nobody needs a 40x0 card. Spread the word. Definitely no need to order on launch.

On a completely unrelated I swear note, how do people track preorders going live for items like 4080/4090 cards nowadays? Looks like NowInStock.net and its discord have been pretty much abandoned.

You know, itā€™s all well and good to have cards arrive that are more powerful than the last gen but Iā€™d love to see an advancement in how they can pack it into a smaller form, energy efficient or just plain using less power than before, and yet do vastly more with it. I mean, yeah, of course you can do more if you create a behemoth of a video card. No wonder SLI is dead, they stuck a couple cards together (I know, not really).

Still, for my part, Iā€™ll hold off to see what the 4070 will be, which is where I was aiming my sights for this gen as a jump from a 2060 Super.

Yeah, Iā€™m usually all about ponying up $$$ for the xx80 series at launch but Iā€™m just not feeling it this time around. The last game I was amped to buy a new card for was Cyberpunk and that resulted in an unceremonious thud.

The 4070 will suck. The 4070 9.2 GB will be the better value.

When the RTX Remix Mod is ready, itā€™s easy to export and share with fellow gamers online - they simply download the mod and drop it into the gameā€™s directory alongside the .exe and launch the game. The NVIDIA RTX Remix Runtime does the rest, replacing the old rendering APIs and systems with RTX Remix Runtimeā€™s 64-bit Vulkan renderer, and upgrading the visuals on the fly. [ā€¦] And best of all, NVIDIA RTX Remix Mods work alongside existing gameplay mods downloaded from Nexus Mods or other sites, giving games with rich modded content an instant ray-traced upgrade.

Honestly that sounds too good to be true. I said the same thing about DLSS though so who knows. I think this will be composed of many, many fiddly steps that can go wrong or your have to wrestle with but even that will be a fantastic step forward for the modding community. Separating the rendering from the exe like that will be huge.

Nvidia seems to be implying you wonā€™t even need an nvidia card to play back the mods (though you will to create), just a vulkan compatible ray tracing card. Which will probably run so bad with out an nvidia card it wonā€™t matter but I appreciate the nod to compatibility.

NVIDIA RTX Remix requires a GeForce RTX GPU to create RTX Mods, while mods built using Remix should be compatible with any hardware that can run Vulkan ray-traced games. GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs, with up to 2X ray tracing performance and DLSS 3 are sure to provide the ultimate experience for RTX Mods.

They should sell the damn thing with a thunderbolt pci expansion card and have the 4090 be an external brick.

At these prices Nvidia can fuck off.

Pretty much where Iā€™m at; Iā€™m hoping AMD can steal their lunch money, but history says they wonā€™t.

Iā€™m not a console person, but I may have to go that direction. Luckily, Iā€™m also not an AAA player. Indie gaming forever.

Is there any real reason that DLSS 3 is limited to the 4000-series, beyond inventing a reason for people to shell out for these new cards?

Whatever happened to proper support? I bought an outrageously overpriced 3090 less than two years ago and would love DLSS3.

/whinge

What if they add extra enticement, with a free game? :)

Ultimately Iā€™m hanging out for the best 200w-250w card thatā€™s not grossly overpriced, whatever that ends up being. Because these power usage numbers are obscene.