When will Ann Coulter go too far?

Most people are sheep.

Michael Moore.

What I wouldn’t give to see them both fight to the death. Now that’s news-worthy.

Yeah, I agree. Something about her screams dyke, and my gaydar is pretty good.

as much as it is possible for a teenage girl to “look” like a dyke, …

WTF is up with the use of “dyke” in a thread devoted to bashing Coulter for calling Edwards a fag? Unintended hypocrisy?

Yes, she is probably a self-hating lesbian (or we could be giving her way too much credit and she is just a garden-variety bigot), but what is up with this?

Please attribute that quote above correctly :).

Fixed - sorry about that.

it’s called “irony”

And the hypocrisy was quite deliberate. :)

If I had a news show, I would tap Ann Coulter for some almost subliminally fast self-parody reactions. I know there is some blocking in here, and there shouldn’t be, but I can fucking do what I want.

NEWSCASTER
In related news, conditions at Walter Reed are…

ANN COULTER
Freeloaders.

NEWSCASTER
…improving in light of recent allegations of mistreatment of our soldiers.
In our next story, Tom Brokaw called them, “The Greatest Generation,” and…

ANN
Shoplifting drag queens.

NEWSCASTER
Moving on, we get to our top story of the night, it seems that Reverend Je-
(Pause, looks at Ann, She looks back and smiles innocently.)
se.

ANN
(Leans forward, fighting to contain herself.)

NEWSCASTER
(Looking at Ann.)
Ja-
kuh-
sssssssssss

ANN
(audible squeal.)

NEWSCASTER
Awwww, look at that, it’s time for a commercial. When we get back, Television’s Dave Coulier is going to show us some common ways to protect against bank fraud.
(to offscreen during slow fade)
Is that right? “Televisions” Dave Coulier?
(Nod.)
No, I know about Full House, I was just thinking, at some point, when you’re not on TV, don’t you kind of stop being TV’s whatever? No, I didn’t forget about Surreal Life. No, I don’t think that really counts. Ok, Full House’s Dave Coulier I get, but I think “Television” is sort of pushing it. Fair enough, you’re entitled to your opinion. Alright, if you say so. I…I…I don’t want to fight about this. Look, listen, it’s not like being a President or a Senator.
(to a second offscreen target.) No, no, it’s really not. I don’t care what you say. Look, I said I didn’t want to argue about this, and now you’re making me. Listen, it was a joke and I’m sorry. (to the second target.) I’m sorry Dave, I didn’t mean to make a joke at your expense. No, we still want you on our show. No, please, don’t take your show on the road. (pause.) Yes, I am being sarcastic.

I heard her quoted on the radio this morning or last night saying that ‘Faggot’ is not an insult toward Gay people. “It’s a schoolyard taunt that means ‘wuss.’”

The juvenile in me wishes she was right. I loved that insult back before I knew what it meant. But she’s not.

Lum’s right in pointing out Adam Carolla’s response. I see or hear her, I change the channel.

Well, she is a Republican. They’re sort of used to making words mean whatever they want at any given moment.

I presume you think the Democrats are in any imaginable way better?

Actually, I’d say worse. Worse as in “not as good at it” though I suspect they’d like to be.

The Republicans have been very successful in recent years in reframing any contentious topic however they want.

That depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.

That was great.

Or, more likely, you would substitute the word ‘redneck’ for ‘faggot’ and ‘Obama’ for ‘Edwards’.

Denigrating Obama as a redneck could be delightfully paradoxical, but it really doesn’t seem like the kind of thing Robert Sharp would do.

If anything valuable can be gleaned from this event, consider this:

1. She felt the need to attack John Edwards.
  2. Her attack was a baseless insult.

From this, you can gather a couple of things. It’s not like she made this comment in a vacuum; the audience responded. The need to attack him, and the positive response, demonstrates the very real threat he represents to Republican leadership, even more so than Obama or Clinton.

Secondly, the crowd’s approval of such a baseless insult shows that they got nothing on Edwards. They don’t have a legitimate criticism to make. The guy is teflon.

I felt, back in 2004, that John Edwards was the only Democratic presidential candidate who had a legitimate shot, because he was the only one who carried a positive message, about helping hardworking Americans. Everyone else was running a campaign of: “Vote for me because I’m not George Bush.”

I’d vote for him.

Her entire shtick is saying things that conservatives think will piss off liberals.

With a wife and 3 kids, it’s kinda paradoxical to call Edwards a faggot. At least Obama’s mother was white.