When's The Last Time You Bought A Physical Copy Of A Game?

The thread about playing older games got me thinking about the last game I purchased in a B&M store. It was actually in a Gamestop, so you know it was a long time ago.

The last one for me was Napoleon:Total War. I remember how pissed off I was (no instant gratification!) when I went to install it and found I had to download it from Steam anyway, which took several hours back then.

So it was also my gateway drug into Steam. Fucking Napoleon.

That said, as a beta tester I was sent a boxed copy of Lock 'n Load:Heroes of Stalingrad when it was released by the folks at Martix/Slitherine.

I really liked that game. I should return to it one day.

I honestly can’t recall. Maybe Civ IV?

Miss real manuals.

This thread made me think of gogamer.com, from where I’d often purchase physical games by mail. The site is still live, selling accessories and some games. Real, physical games.

https://www.gogamer.com/collections/software

I have consoles.

Last month.

Zero Time Dilemma, the last non-indie game I bought.

The next one will be next week, when Touhou Genso Rondo comes out on PS4.

Also, I buy physical PC games every now and then (and not the ones that are just Steam codes in a box), so it’s not just about having consoles!

I think it was when I got curious about COD:MW3. Other than that the only thing that springs to mind is the KS physical copy of Wasteland 2.

And I guess one day I might be lucky enough to have a Broken Age physical box arrive? Maybe? Probably not before my hair is grey…

Last PC game was Mass Effect 2. Bought with preorder even.

But I do have a slightly more recent physical disk, Rogue Squadron 2 for the GameCube. That was this year when I got the itch.

But as this is the first console game I bought in several years it may be the first since ME2.

Ditto. For the PC, I bought a physical copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. But I bought it because I wanted to support CDPR, not because I needed it (I had it already preordered from GOG). And it’s likely that, if the GOTY edition gets a physical edition around here, I’ll buy it as well.

Prior to that, though… I think I didn’t buy a physical copy of a PC game for a few years.

I should say, if the PS4 had a faster download network, I’d download more console stuff too!

2009/2010 or so for the Wii. Everything on 3DS, Xbox One and WiiU has been digital. I bought a couple 360 games early on, but switched to digital once I bought a wifi adapter for it.

The last physical game I bought for the PC was a reprint of Alpha Centauri a couple years before it was available digitally. Maybe the original Witcher before that, in 2007 or so.

All told, it’s been years.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a boxed game in the US and I think I moved here in 2008. Having said that I seem to own Two Worlds II from 2010. Maybe that. Maybe that killed it for me…

I bought Assassin’s Creed Syndicate off Amazon last month because it was on a deep discount. I used the code in the box and threw the rest away. But I haven’t installed a game from physical media in years.

Evolve…about a month ago if only to qualify for “founders edition” in Evolve Stage 2. Before that (excluding console) the collectors edition of Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm.

Witcher 3 back in December/January.

Sadly, a loooong time. And I used to love all the little junky stuff you’d get with the Ultima games and such. Nowadays, for PC games, i’m mostly digital.

I bought the collector’s edition of Bioshock with the Big Daddy figurine. I think that was the last game where I got a physical copy of a PC game.

Console games, physical continue to be a better deal. I got a physical copy of DOOM, for instance, even though the digital copy was the same price so that when I was done playing it, I could lend it to my older brother.

Well, I’m a member of Best Buy’s game deal that knocks 20% off the price so I still buy most of my Xbox games as physical copies. The latest one of those I bought would be Deus Ex about a week ago I guess. For PC much less frequently - guess that would be a boxed copy of Legacy of the Void I bought back when that came out.

I just bought the Sierra Civil War collection on eBay, which includes both of Sierra’s Civil War games as well as Impressions’ The Blue and The Grey. Does that count?

I bought a boxed copy of Evolve a month or two ago, so I wouldn’t have to bother with unlocking stuff.

!

(A topic of interest to me, given my recent wargaming habits.)

My WoW Legion Collector’s Edition arrived Tuesday. Technically I bought it months ago, but you know, close enough. But aside from CEs, every now and then it’s possible to save money by buying a box that has a key in it for a digital game instead of just paying for the digital game directly, because digital rights are fucked the hell up. And just as rarely, I pick up a portable game. (Mostly from Atlus.)