When's The Last Time You Bought A Physical Copy Of A Game?

I KNEW there was a reason! Thanks! Wow, I foolishly overlooked that darned religiosity! It always gets you in the end…like cancer, or mexican food…

For the PS4 almost all my games are disk based. I joined the Best Buy gamers club which has saved me a bunch of money, and I sell games I’m done with, trade them in etc.

I have not purchased a PC boxed game in forever. It may have been 8 years since I’ve bought a PC a game on disk.

I think the last physical game I bought was a used copy of Destiny in early 2014. I’ve been 100% digital on PC, Vita and PS4 otherwise. Most of my PS3 purchases were digital as well towards the end of last gen.

I’m not sure I follow you. If i buy a game from Amazon, Walmart or say Best Buy. It’s often going to be a physical copy and for whatever reason it’s 20 dollars instead of 40. How is more questionable sites selling just keys going to change that?

Well, if I’m buying physical copies only when they’re a lower price than digital, why would I wait for a physical package to be shipped from Amazon when I could instead buy from a re-seller who has ripped a bunch of packages open and can email me the key instantly?

edit: it would be a different story if the package contained something of value … e.g. a nice printed manual. :)

I bought Shogun 2 from a physical ‘bargain bin’, very cheap.

My last physical game was Harvest Green, from Inu to Neko (by the way, if anybody wishes to become a billionaire, just localize and distribute their whole line-up: those games are amongst the most addictive things around), bought from a doujin shop in 2009. Not even a manual bundled, but I was aversed to ordering online back then.

Weabo Anecdoting

If you are familiar with “doujin” (as were called Japanese indie games before indie was a word), you know those are 95% constitued of titles featuring “explicit contents”, to put it mildly. When I went to buy this, I had to enter a doujin shop, which must be roughly as pleasant as entering an European sex shop, if I had to make a guess. The irony is, while there were hoards of raping simulators on display, the vendor had to pull my coveted innocent game from, you might have guessed it… behind the counter.

I think The Crew is the last disc game I bought. Basically I’ve been all digital this gen.

I bought Dark Souls 3 on disc. There’s no logical reason, I just wanted to “have” it. Like, see it on my shelf, because Dark Souls is awesome.

Physical copy of Evolve a few weeks ago, at extreme discount. Oh and also Assasins Creed Syndicate.

2 boxed games this year! Last year I was 100% digital only.

This week. My sons and I share games in my house, and we each have our own Xbox.

One thing that is ironic abut PS4, outside of a few sales, it is generally much cheaper to aquire PS4 games on disk vs. digitally. We just never get great Steam-like sales for digital goods. And when there are sales they tend to be pretty lame.

I only purchase PC games and the last retail boxed PC game I remember purchasing was Distant Worlds - Universe.
Since then I have pre-ordered the physical version of Sid Meier’s Civilization VI.

I used to get really upset if I couldn’t get a physical version of a PC game. I still do get upset, but it matters less now because it doesn’t come with anything of value anyway.

But I still buy them from Amazon because of the 20% pre-order discount. The last one I bought was DOOM.

Also when I do still buy the boxed version of any new game, I will have a nice case to put my DRM-free version into if it should ever get to GOG.

I’ve still got all 600+ of my boxed PC games from the last 23 years on shelves. Fortunately I guess, things switched almost exclusively to download-only around the same time I ran out of shelf space. So I get to keep all my old boxed games, but won’t have much room for new ones.

From a store? I can’t remember. Maybe Lego Dimensions when it went on fire sale? From Amazon or another online retailer – World of Warcraft: Legion CE.

Last time I bought one was SimCity 2013 (goddammit, I am still bitter about that purchase). But, that said, I did receive StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm for Xmas 2015 from my folks as a boxed copy, if that counts!

Having more or less walked away from consoles after burning out so fast on the 360 (turns out the JRPG renaissance that began there died almost just as quickly), there’s not much need for physical copies anymore, especially now that all the cool-ass tchotchkes they used to feature are a thing of the past. But like @Giles_Habibula, I’ve got a ridiculous collection of game boxes, manuals, etc., stacked up in the (thankfully enormous) closet in my old bedroom at my parents’ place.

^ Same here. Good thing too, because the phonebook-sized manual was absolutely necessary to play the game.

One of the best parts of the digital Dominions 4 was that it came with a PDF of the manual by one @Brooski. One of the best manuals of the last decade.

Didn’t Bruce write the 3rd game’s manual as well?
I thought myself one of the best parts of the digital Dominions 4 was being able to order a real physical print of the manual at a very reasonnable price.
Although now, that one is obsolete, since it doesn’t have the new Middle Ulm strategy guide (cries).

I wouldn’t know, I never heard of it before Dom4’s 3 Moves Ahead show. And the fact Bruce wrote the manual was no small part in sealing the deal for me to buy it.