Which class, of all MMOs, is/was your favorite to play?

Bear Shaman (Age of Conan). Combines constant decisionmaking, incredible survivability and smashing heads with a two-handed hammer. Great class solo, grouped or raid.

Squig Herder
(Warhammer Online). Tremendous ranged killer, hilarious goblin emotes, the goofiest-looking pets imaginable and some terrific questlines in their starting zone. If more people had played greenies, Warhammer would have kept more subscribers. Here’s a great quote from the old WH forums,

There’s no experience in the game like playing the Squig Herder.

You’re a meter-tall, lean, mean and green space fungus with a bad attitude, a yellow streak a mile wide and an appetite for destruction that’s only matched by that same yellow streak. You get to shoot people with your bow, harass them with your squigs, run around inside a giant squig bouncing on people and even, once in a blue moon, kill them with your spear!

You’re disgusting, you smell like your squig, you’ve got pointy ears and sharp canines and absolutely no idea about personal hygiene. You kick those smaller than you and get kicked by those bigger than you. If your squig isn’t killed by the enemy, you kill him yourself to have something to eat. You lie, steal, murder, cheat and wreak havoc while humming silly little tunes and trying to look innocent.

As for being useful you’ve got ranged snares, good single-target dps, AOE root and dps, armor debuffs, healing debuffs. Knockbacks, knockdowns, taunts and detaunts. You’ve got versatility.

If you live long enough to be able to use any of it.

Tell me that doesn’t make you want to play a goblin!

I’ve only played 2 real MMO’s:

• Guild Wars: Fire elementalist: Assassin’s Promise Nuker (PvE). Fun dynamic build that put out crazy aoe damage and KD that required some good timing and an active play style.

• Wow: Fire Mage

I didn’t need root. My water pet could tank, and hold aggro nicely.

Yep, with you on this ChrisPal.

Enchanters were grossly overpowered up until Velious. Unfortunately Verant went way overboard when they made almost every single unit immune to mezmerize, which turned the class in to a buff bot during raids.

Spending 6 hours casting two different single target buffs on 50 people got old quite fast.

The Disciple in Vanguard.

In fact, I don’t think any MMO to date has had better classes than Vanguard.

FFXI Dragoon. Tons of damage, tons of weapon skills, tons of awesome. No question.

Defender in City of Heroes circa issues 1 - 4. Capable blaster while also being extremely good at buffs/debuffs and a bit of control. All around awesome class.

Lord of the Rings Online’s Loremaster. Has pets, crowd control, some dps, some heals, some buffs, some debuffs, some ranged combat, some melee combat, some magic, some staff, and was the best solo class of the game. He really was the jack of all trades, and a master in the first two. My favourite mmo character by far.

DAOC’s Valkyrie - Bizarre and awesome utility line, and a neat hybrid melee line. Even the option to use a shield as an offensive weapon! Not to mention, great hats.

Runner up - WoW’s Warlock - While DoTs and fear was fun, nothing compares to random sacrificing a party member to summon a demon.

I loved my DAoC Enchanter quite a bit, and my EQ Magician. CoH Controller was great fun to play.

Fav classes by game:

EQ1: Druid. Quad kiting solo, and decent heal/dmg in groups. Plus SoW.
EQ2: Bard. Fun class to play.
WoW: Paladin. Tank spec for group play, ret for solo. Honorable mention to Frost Mage, which is fun for soloing.
SWG: Entertainer. Because dancing to the music was so damn fun!

My next alt is going to be a LM, just waiting for the Ered Luin update to drop.

I really liked playing an Iksar Necromancer in EQ1. It was a great solo class and I enjoyed farming skeleton bones for pet summoning.

druid in everquest.

love the utility nature, and being able to help people

I too played a Enchanter in EQ and loved it until Kunark came out, then hated it.

I also used to love my WoW Druid in the 1-60 days, back when you could pew pew, then pop out and heal, and drop to off tank if need be, all in the same fight.

my third runner up would be the defender class from CoH. I played a dark/dark defender, and he was just awesome for turning a fight from a wipe to a win.

Really, I like the style of play that lets me turn the tides of a battle in our favor. All of these classes had that ability to “save the day”

The Illusionist from Everquest 2.

I did not play Everquest, but from what it sounds like, probably for the same reasons people liked the controller from Everquest. Crowd control, and an ability to alter and shape fights beyond “I can pump out X DPS - hurrrrrrr!”

Doctor/Fencer in Pre-NGE SWG.

Burglar in LOTRO

Monk in EQ1. Using skills like Feign Death and Sneak to split-pull spawns never got old. I probably learned more about aggro mechanics and mob pathing in that game than anyone had a right to know. As a bonus, being the puller allowed me to explore all the nooks and crannies of a dungeon instead of just staying at a campsite.

I really liked the Blaster hero I had in CoH. Felt like playing a wizard more than a wizard in most mmprgs!

WoW did shield warriors right. loved my warrior in wow. Haven’t played since Burning Crusade though.

and my EQ druid because I liked being a SoW bitch. Plus I can port you for money. yeesh, so many unintended gameplay mechanics in vanilla EQ made it so … unique. Ah nostalgia!