Which tablet to get?

So you’re saying this isn’t the one to get? I mean, it does come in Teal! And they have matching bags!

;-)

Biting the bullet tomorrow and going to get a Nook Color and root it and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Memory Express has the Asus Transformer and keyboard dock bundle on sale for $499 (16GB version) and $599 (32GB version). I think I’m going to pick the 32GB one up tomorrow.

Hi!

Works pretty well.

(oh god flash photography on an iPad always makes it look like a plague vector)

WTF? how are you playing Panzer Corps on your iPad? Or is that just a screenshot?

Cool! Let me know how it goes. You going to put Cyanogenmod 7 on it or something else?

I am guessing he is using iDos.

Or he could have remoted into his PC.

As others have asked: how???

No idea yet! Just probably going to root it first with stock Android and see how far I can get from there. I’m not actually going to ‘use’ this device, it’s just so I have an Android target for testing.

Splashtop to remote in to my PC. There are other remoting solutions but Splashtop is the most game-friendly.

You know, Lum, there is no reason to ever turn the flash on when shooting a backlit LCD screen. Just sayin’… :)

You may already know this stuff but if not, this website is very helpful: http://mrm3.net/nook-color/

Actually hadn’t seen that one yet, thanks! It seems that the process is relatively easy, but there are many different processes available (rooting, installing CM, installing HC, booting from SDHC, different recovery methods, etc.). And now apparently I have to worry about “blue or green dot Nooks”…

Well running CM7 on my Nook Color took way longer than expected. There are numerous guides to ‘rooting your Nook Color’, but a lot of them are out of date and there are a lot of options that aren’t explained well.

1. “Rooting” can mean anything from “giving yourself root access on your device” to “totally installing a brand new operating system”

2. Only a couple places talk about just booting a full install from an SD card. This is what I ended up doing since it leaves my Nook totally stock (it boots off SD by default, so I have a dual boot system)

3. Took a while to sort through how to get my Nook Color visible to the Android debug bridge.

4. LOTS of twitchy shit that involves downloading random EXEs off the internet, including shit from *.tk and *.ru. TERRIFYING.

It’s still a little flakey about staying connected to my PC, and the SD card isn’t visible at all to my PC so there’s no simple way to copy files over directly, but all in all it should be fine for just debugging and testing. I hope.

I picked up the 32GB Asus Transformer with the keyboard dock today. I’m still getting used to Android 3.0 but I like it so far. Unlike iOS devices I’m just dragging-and-dropping my music and videos from my desktop computer to the tablet.

Is the transformer running 3.0, or 3.1?

My Xoom just got an update to 3.2, apparently the first device to receive it. Not a lot of changes from 3.1, although they did activate the SD card slot apparently, and they now support Google DRM, which I’m hoping will mean Netflix soon.

Out of the box it was Android 3.0 but there was an Asus update notification to download and install 3.1.

Okay, dual booting the Nook is kind of a pain in the ass. It’s nice for checking things out without having to worry about blowing anything up, but…yeah, just not as nice as having full access to the Nook.

I went ahead and did a ManualNooter on it. The only confusing/hard part was getting CWR onto the SD since with 1.2 (“blue dot”) Nook Colors things aren’t as well documented.

The SD and the internal storage mount as separate devices which is convenient as hell. I guess I’ll bite the bullet and get a 32GB SDHC at some point.

As Eric said, 3.1 for now with 3.2 coming “soon”.

I read about the update enabling media to SD card? What does it mean exactly?

Wendelius