Whiskey Friday™

I picked up a bottle of Templeton to celebrate. Damn that is smooth and delicious as always.

He never drops by though! I miss him here.

Apparently the Internet says the theme for a 5 year wedding anniversary is ‘wood’ (not that kind… well that kind too). So among other things my busy bee little wife got me some themed bourbons: Woodford Reserve for the pun, Makers 46 (something about how it’s finished with oak staves), and Knob Creek because that’s the only other name she knew.

Not as exotic as what you guys drink, but I thought it was a really cute idea.

Ate at a restaurant the other night that boasts 180 whiskeys available in house. I was severely disappointed that when I asked my server for some recommendations for bourbons she answered with bulleit, basil Hayden’s and makers.
I ended up going with Hudson valley baby bourbon- which I always love. But, I’m disappointed I wasn’t recommended to something I’d never heard of before. Ah well.

Next time ask the head bartender, not the waitstaff.

Notes on the Copper Fox I mentioned upthread:
Aged on wood chips, so a bit smoother than the 14 month age would suggest, but still rather sharp. Anchor’s Old Potrero is the closest analog I can think of, but the Potrero has more body (it almost seems thicker). The Copper Fox has a very nice smokey note, which I quite liked. I mixed a few Marianne’s with it for guests:

2 oz. rye whisky
1/2 oz. Byrrh (a fortified red wine spiked with quinine–try Dubonnet Rouge if you can’t find Byrrh)
1/2 oz. dry vermouth
1 dash Angostura bitters

It came across as a lighter manhattan, which went well with the young whisky.

A place like that probably means 150 Scotch whiskys and the rest.

The Maker’s 46 is interesting, they take their regular whiskey (whisky) and then give it a year or so with French oak staves in it, for something that does something something. It’s a very limited run each year, if that entices you.

If you’d like I could send you a bottle of Wild Turkey 101, which makes you want to hit someone with a club, keeping with the anniversary theme.

Turkey is an interesting outlier. The 101 makes it strong, but the flavor is, to me, lost in the burn. I’ve enjoyed Turkey 101 Manhattans. But honestly, it’s all about the alcohol if you use it for anything but a mixed drink.

It seems okay. I can just about enjoy it straight with a couple ice cubes. I seem to enjoy thinking about drinking whiskey more than the moment it hits my tongue.

The thing I hate about Maker’s is how a little bit always dribbles out and runs down that damn wax seal. These are the challenges I face.

I like regular Maker’s better than their 46.

I’ve been out of E12 for a week and tonight I move on to Woodford Reserve. It’s been a long time since I’ve tried it. Some fancy version was the next thing after E18 for me, and it came up short. But now that my standards are so much lower, I may have a better time with it!

Bourbon! Lowering standards since 1785!

I lol’d. Thank you!

If you don’t like Bourbon why not go to the peat side!

I’ll be attending a wedding this weekend in Nashville. Thursday night is dinner at some place called Pub5. I see that bourbon is on the menu. I was worried that I wouldn’t be allowed to drink it in Tennessee since it’s so close to Kentucky, and you know how spiteful Southerners are.

Anyway, is there anything particularly interesting in this small selection that I should try? I assume none of these are very exotic.

Four Roses ··· $9
George Dickel Rye ··· $10
Bulleit ··· $9
Jameson ··· $10
Belle Meade ··· $10
Buffalo Trace ··· $9
Jack Daniel’s ··· $10
Knob Creek ··· $10
Woodford ··· $10

I’ll comment on the ones I know. And thus, I’d go with one of the others (Belle Meade?).

Retail $20/bottle – These are typically alcohol-tasting and to me they lack character.

Buffalo Trace
Bulleit
Four Roses – do you like sweet bourbon?

Retail $30/bottle

Woodford’s my go-to bourbon right now. It’s balanced and woody.
Knob Creek is similar, but to me it lacks body.

Jack Daniel’s is a tier below the rest. Dickel whiskey is good (It’s Tennessee, so I’m not calling it bourbon) but I haven’t had their rye. The others are all solid second-tier bourbons (I, like Fire, haven’t heard of Belle Meade) except Jameson’s, which is Irish Whiskey. Of the group, I’d probably go with Bulleit.

Bulleit or Woodford. Woodford being mellower.

Anyone tried Larceny Bourbon yet?

With regard to my quest for a favorite sub $30 whiskey, this is right in my wheelhouse at $27. It’s tasty - smooth without being bland. I liked it so much I just picked up a second bottle because I’m afraid it might become hard to find. I have no reason for this fear other than the fact that everything I like gets cancelled/recalled/bankrupt/broken.

It’s made by Heaven Hill.

Ooh – I do like Heaven Hill. I’ll look for it next time I’m out of Elijah. Thanks, Kent.