Whiskey Friday™

I was wondering just that.

In answer to the other persons question, no, peat and smoke are not strictly the same, although they tend to go together. There are a number of favors that can be described as salty, briny, or earthy that come when the water used to make the whiskey has been in contact wit (unsmoked) peat, as opposed to the smoky favors that come from smoking the malt with burning peat (footnote 1)

In answer to your question, you want to try Bunnahabhain, or Bruichladdich Rocks.

Footnote 1: or, more accurately, since we’re talking about whiskey-making, which is entirely a modern industrial process (footnote 2), “that come from ordering a batch of malt from the Scottish equivalent of Archer-Daniels Midland from a catalog that has a certain ppm of phenols”

Footnote 2: Whisky making has an ancient history and storied past, most of which was completely fabricated in the 19th century (footnote 3) when people actually started making whisky for the first time.

Footnote 3: ok I’m exaggerating to make a point. But really the stuff made before the modern tax laws and bonding requirements shook out was, by and large, undrinkable swill. There was whisky before the 19th century, but none of us would have wanted to drink it.

Very nice post! I did not know about non-smoked peat. I will take note of those two whiskeys as well, since I think tasting different “extremes” will help my understanding of the spectrum.

Thanks Peter! I will keep an eye out for those two now that I know what to look for.

The word to look out for to describe this taste is “iodine” or sometimes “seawater”. All of the Islays have this taste to some extent; the two I mentioned have less smoke covering it up.

Adding a little smoke to those favors, you might try Isle of Jura, or the sadly overpriced Talisker. Then, Lagavulin and Laphroaig are the full on “Hey, let’s lick an ashtray!” experience (and I don’t like them. Talisker is about exactly my limit for smoke.)

If you drink Scotch in New Jersey, your supply may be limited.

Tanker carrying 6000 gallons of Scotch overturns and catches fire.

Oh, the humanity.

Really? That happens about every other week here.

Quick question: has anyone tasted the new Glen Deveron Royal Burgh Collection? I tried a little at Heathrow and I think I liked it but I was tired and not really in the mood to evaluate the product. If anyone else had a taste I would appreciate any comments, thinking about picking a bottle.

Good golly, this article is full of silliness about Bourbon. Here’s my favorite quote:

“The darker the bourbon, the higher the alcohol content…”

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2013/06/the-boozy-history-of-where-bourbon-really-got-its-name-and-more-tips-on-americas-native-spirit/

I love their museums, but the Smithsonian site is now off the list.

I guess it should have been: the darker the bourbon, the more added caramel color?

I tried Angel’s Envy and Colonel Blanton’s (I think?) at a restaurant this weekend. I didn’t really like either of them. They both had that weird taste I describe as “smoky” but I don’t really know what it is. It’s a bit of a harsh aftertaste. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? Maybe I’m just imagining things, or I’m used to how I drink bourbon at home with a certain amount of ice, etc.

I definitely know where you’re coming from. It’s smokey from the wood the booze has been sitting in. People who like older whiskeys like the flavors from the wood - smoke, vanilla, caramel, whatever.

I don’t always like a booze that’s older because I don’t always like more wood flavor. I taste less of the grains involved than I do the wood. Sometimes I like a younger whiskey more than an older one because they are crisp. A lot of people like the lingering flavors in woody booze - those get thicker over time. Of course, a whiskey that’s too young is just plain harsh, like moonshine or vodka, and you can’t taste anything. Whiskey starts off harsh and flat (burn, then you taste nothing), gets milder and sticks with you a bit, then turns into thicker stuff that sticks to your ribs. I’ve noticed I usually choose mellow (not right out of the still) but not necessarily very old stuff. (I should say, age isn’t the only thing that creates those flavors - this is all a generalization.)

Everyone’s take is going to be different, but that’s what I find.

For my Elijah Craig buddies:

Elijah Craig turns 21.

The older it gets, the faster it goes.

It didn’t take long for Elijah Craig 20-year-old Single Barrel Bourbon to earn major acclaim for itself as Whisky Advocate Magazine’s “American Whiskey of the Year.” A few months later, it was designated the number three ranked spirit among the world’s top 120 in Paul Pacult’s highly regarded Spirit Journal.

And, as you might guess, the 20-year-old recently sold out. But if everything goes true to form, it looks like greatness is about to start all over again. A 21-year-old edition is about to make its debut. Could be déjà vu all over again!

The distillery recently announced a limited supply of the Rev. Elijah Craig’s eponymous 21-year-old Single Barrel Bourbon will be showing up in stores—probably by next month. Craig Beam explains that several hundred barrels that have been aging quietly in middle to high storage in some of the company’s best warehouses have been designated for the next Elijah Craig bottling. Susan Wahl, Brand Manager of Heaven Hill’s Whiskey Portfolio, says that this rare bottling will provide consumers with a unique tasting experience. “It will be a journey of discovery,” she said, “enabling Bourbon drinkers to discover and enjoy the complexities of a more aged, rarer edition of a genuinely fine Bourbon.”

A whiskey for the true Bourbon connoisseur, the Elijah Craig 21-Year-Old is expected to retail for approximately $140 for the 750ml size. And, as in the case of the 20-year-old version, distribution will be limited.

Bulleit is set to start producing 10-year bourbon, which is pretty exciting.

— Alan

I just got some more Bulleit Rye for my birthday. I can never come up with gift ideas, so maybe I should ask for some high end brands sometime. Elijah 18 for Christmas? Not sure where my wife would get it.

I’ve progressed in my bourbon drinking to the point where I now dislike mixing most of them with ginger ale. Not that I have been, but I tried it recently and hated the taste. I still love it with Maker’s though. It’s a nice refreshing drink for these hot fucking weekend days lately.

At $140, I’m afraid I’ll be sticking with the 12. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Has anyone ever been to one of these?
http://www.beerandbourbon.com/

Ginger Ale? The popular thing to do these days is with some ginger beer instead. You do the regular shake with whatever ingredients you want to infuse, strain, then top off with cold ginger beer. I’ve seen an offshoot of a whisky sour that basically does this (with some bitters and something else, I forget)… seems to work pretty well.

— Alan

All these words are confusing me. About all I can do is crack open a beer, make a margarita with a mix, and pour some liquor onto ice cubes.

fire, limited run always sounds to me like, “Something you want but can’t afford.” But I still love the idea.

Alan, That sounds pretty damn good to me.

Maybe you should be in the tequila thread then? :)

— Alan