Why can't I stop listening to Queen all of a sudden?

I’m a bit too young to have experienced Queen when they were at their creative height (late 70s, early 80s.) I certainly remember some of their bigger hits, like Another one Bites the Dust (reminds me of the old roller rink fad), We are the Champions, Bohemian Rhapsody, etc., but I never really got into them at all.

Several years ago, out of a momentary feeling of nostalgia, I picked up some two disk greatest hits package. I maybe listened to it a few times

About a month ago I loaded it onto my MP3 player and for some reason all I now have are Queen “B” side hits running through my head. Stuff like A Kind of Magic, Hammer to Fall, One Vision, and Headlong.

I don’t get it. Why is this clicking for me all of a sudden? Anyone else ever had that happen?

At some point or another, everybody likes Queen.

Yeah I never cared for them, alethough I always knew they were good. But lately I listen to Radio Gaga all the time for some reason.

Not me. Not by a long, long shot.

Your time will come.

I’m with the “At one point, everyone loves Queen” group. They’re a rock band that pretty much, to me, proves that modern music can be a form of art, and they covered the entire gamut of genre influences. Blues, Motown, funk, hard rock, the glam scene, all with their own distinctive harmonies and polyphonic arrangements.

Queen is THE quintessential rock band, if you ask me. More than anything else, though, they were FUN.

I turn 40 next year, so I kind of doubt it.

I turn 40 next year, so I kind of doubt it.

I still believe. I had my Queen phase already but I would be willing to buy the theory that everyone has one eventually.

Take THAT, Lou Reed!

Because you’ve developed new tastes and discernments, and one of them is probably the ability to recognize and enjoy very good singers. I blame Glee.

H.

Lou Reed takes music to the art place where most people stare at it not quite understanding what the hell they are looking at. Everyone agrees that its art, but most people can’t actually even tell you if they like it or not, only that they’ve experienced it.

Queen took music to the opera and to broadway and put it on the radio with a touch of pop.

I agree that everyone has a Queen phase, but some people hide under several layers of Lou Reed concert t-shirts where hopefully no one will ever notice. Just like no matter how much grindcore death metal you love, there is that one Brittney Spears or NSync song you occasionally hum when no one is around.

Just like no matter how much grindcore death metal you love, there is that one Brittney Spears or NSync song you occasionally hum when no one is around.

My secret shame is that Beyonce song. “If you like it then you should have put a ring on it…”

Take THAT, The Who, The Kinks and David Bowie!

Liking Single Ladies is nothing to be ashamed of.

Because you haven’t been listening to Bicycle Race.

Nothing wrong with liking both Queen and Lou Reed. Sometimes you’re in the mood for Fat Bottomed Girls, and sometimes you’re in the mood to just… do an epic amount of heroin, I don’t know.

Exactly. Sometimes you’re in the mood for good music, and sometimes you’re in the mood for Queen.

“I think…Lou Reed is a creep!” — Handsome Dick Manitoba

Now THAT’S a rock record. “I think Joe Franklin’s real flash!”

You, sir, are no longer invited to my birthday party.