Why does every site on the Internet have godamn ads for Civony?

I found that on their forums they’re holding a competition to have female members of their game dress up as queens and post the photos to gain in-game money or items. Cunning.

Well HELLOOOOO milady!

That sword sure seems to be coming from no where… hmmm…

Jon

The Y is obviously wielding it.

Y, do you hate the queen?

despite our jesting, I’ve come to a horrid conclusion:

Civony is the future of gaming on the PC.
Depressing isn’t it?
But think about it, its a free (initially) online game with microtransaction bullshit, which means its the ‘new business model’ people drone on about. It’s thus immune to piracy.
Every games site I see has ads for it, which means that either their ad budget is huge, or its at least much higher than all the ‘real’ games companies.

I suspect its making a fortune, or at least it is compared to a lot of mainstream conventional PC games.

I for one, do NOT welcome our new crappy web-MMO overlords, but it seems I am outvoted (at least financially).

I’m I the only one who thinks this obvious adolescent male pandering has become so blatant that it stops being appealing?

This game is seriously expensive the second you wanna buy an edge, micro mmo’s are the new thing and boy do they earn money. With the exception of WoW, very few sub mmo’s can match their player numbers in hours/people online.

… replace the sword with a schlong and we are in business.

Naught Y you!

With regards to their business model, if I rate it according to profitability it’s brilliant. If I rate it against being a parasite preying on the weak, it’s also brilliant.
The only reason they make so much money is because there exist hordes of people who would balk at paying say $30 a month for an MMO but will easily spend double that amount as long as it’s X times $1.

Much like with the business model used by SAP I have to ask myself, could another non-consumer flaying model ever stand up to this kind of thing?.

After seeing the full size picture, I think the banner ad could really benefit by being one of those that scroll down, haha!

Or maybe they don’t want to scare away the female players.

Methinks it is too late for that.

if that was the case then they wouldn’t have gone with the two chicks. perhaps their best banner yet!

It seems they’re now changing queen banners faster than we can snark on them.

Nah, man - it’s about peer pressure. This is their APPEAL to women. They’re down. You want to be where they’re at. I mean, look, honey, SHE’S into it - what’s wrong with YOU?.

Those look like bitchy courtesans that would prattle on endlessly after I save my kingdom.

I prefer my women kneeling at sword point.

Save your queen!
Login now and we’ll toss in a bonus queen so that you might fantasize about what they will do together when they get lonely as you’re off expanding your kingdom!

I wonder if they’ve properly licensed the Friz Quadrata font they’re using there.

too much?

well it wasn’t using racist imagery before so i guess that’s an improvement