Why we won't live happily ever after with Planetary Annihilation

making the map a sphere adds nothing, he is right

so if it isn't complete, why the piss would you release it?

yeah it does, it adds inconvenience! igmc...

I have bought this game early in EA, and I couldn't agree with this review any more. I would give it a 0 if I could. When will I ever learn to stop buying unfinished games...

But it matches the game I have played. So having sunk a few hours in, I am relieved to see I am not fucking stupid for missing everything. There simply isn't anything there for me to have missed.

Honestly Tom Chick don't ever write another review for a game ever again, you're extremely terrible at it. Come to think of it.... You would be perfect for ign or even metacritic.

I'm so glad someone gave this game a deservedly critical review. All of your comments are on point, and additionally there are game-breaking bugs. I couldn't play a game without the whole UI crashing after 5-10 minutes. Meaning the game is still running, but none of the menus or icons work. My system is pretty stock standard hardware. There's a workaround that I found after a lot of digging, but still, the bug is affecting a significant number of users and it's crazy that problems of this magnitude weren't caught before release.

How does it make sense that the UI would crash without the rest of the game crashing? Well, I'm glad you asked. It's because the devs used a third party UI (http://coherent-labs.com/) rather than writing their own. Why are they taking money for a game when they can't even integrate other people's code properly? I can only imagine what other shortcuts they might have taken in the development of PA, and I'm left to wonder what they did with the ~$50 I gave them during early access.

Always desyncs, eh? Someone's clearly never heard of Forged Alliance Forever.

Ah, finally someone that might answer my question.

How does PA compares with Zero-K and Forged Alliance Forever?
These are the current TA-like games (that I'm aware of). borkyborkbork just doesn't seem to have heard of them.
These are the ones PA should be compared to.

So, it's a game that you "simply cannot turtle in", but that also encourages players to "play a city builder until a superweapon ends the game".

Well done, sir. Clicks: BAITED.

"I don't understand how to play" is not a good reason to rip a game.

Someone really, really, really dug the last phase of Spore and thought they could wring a solid game out of it. I really wished they would have suceeded. Review was a bit on the wordy and long side. Becomes boring to read abot the same criticisms over and over again because the author mistakes obvious for astute observations. Meh game, meh writeup i guess.

It's a shame that so many of these Kickstarter/crowdsourced games end up being so unpolished and incomplete.

Monday Night Combat was phenomenal, and one of the most criminally underrated multiplayer games ever. Super Monday Night Combat, however, was nowhere near as good IMO. They ruined it by stripping out the original game's awesome turret-building game mode.

That has something to do with the budget. Everyone should have known trying to make an RTS for 3 million was a disaster waiting to happen. Supreme commander 1 + 2 both had 10 million dollar budgets. PA had not even 1/5 of what Supcom 1 and 2 had and supcom 1 had major problems still and supcom 2 is considered a failure.

"The always online is because they haven't polished local servers yet and is going away once they finish that." - This is exactly what Uber said 9 months ago kid. Also in regards to looking things up, Uber actually painstakingly removed negative reviews and their promise for offline mode at release from the Steam Forums. Trust me buddy, if you're deadset on being a fanboy try a real company.

@ WPM: The problem with PA annihilation, as I thought Tom pointed out quite well, is that there is no fun in this game to keep someone playing. Why would I spend hours getting good at a game that is so unbelievably worse than its unofficial prequel(s)? I'm glad you have fun with the game, but the rest of us want a real game. Not perpetual BETA and empty promises.

So you're telling me I should practice really hard at a game that's not even half as good as its unofficial prequel which came out in 2007? Should I also get really good with a pogo stick even though I own a car? XD

Other comments have already torn poor Mered4 to shreds so I'll refrain, but one other little tidbit: None of those links changes all of the other stuff about the game being, you know, terrible and unfinished?

My game deleted all of my saved games including the Galactic War which I had been playing for about 15 hours. Yes the flaws in this are, in fact, game breaking. I scoff at thee, fanboy.

Not if he's a reviewer though. He could have done some research and explained his point of view instead of coming off as lazy.