Wildfires and stuff..

That is a scary, almost apocalyptic photo.

What is the last part he says? A “nulligan”?

Australia-based Kotaku journalist Luke Plunkett:

Is anyone blaming brown people?

It’s so crazy it’s even having an effect on local birds:

I’m sure it’s the fault of the Aboriginals for not properly raking their land.

Here in the US it’s going to get worse as well. I imagine the Cheeto in charge will continue to blame the states and national parks as though they were intentionally causing things.

Sadly, if more things like this happen, governments will be forced to engage, finally.

I heard on the news last night some 20 people have been arrested for starting fires in Australia. There are more than 100+ currently burning.

There are arsons pretty much every year during fire seasons. It’s not really… new. Australia is also quite large. I mean… I don’t why anyone would suggest the real problem is arsons as if we don’t have documented proof that we’ve had some huge fires absolutely started by arsons. The difference now is we’re so dang dry these fires spread and move too quickly and get out of control faster than before.

As I posted in the climate thread - arson is an ever present menace. Google each fire season for bushfires caused by arson. There are articles every year about it. Here’s last year version. The difference between this year and last isn’t the amount of arson, its the favorable conditions for fire.

Yes. And… Australia isn’t unique with this problem. If someone wants to question why the conditions are so bad, fine, but this but really it’s arsons is just a red herring. They, the arsons, have been there since before good records were kept about fires, and no, there is not just a handful. It’s scary how many firebugs are out there and how many of them wind up being actual… firefighters too.

I started a fire once just by flinging a cigarette butt in the grass. (Not in the wilderness.) Luckily my housemate was napping with the window open and smelled it. Stuff catches fire easily! I double check now every time.

Well there is a difference between fires started by a human and actual arson. Both of them are an issue but one is… intentional.

Negligence is bad too! (But I am getting old and cranky about that stuff…)

Interesting article on the predation occurring after the fires in Australia with feral cats doing a lot of damage…

It’s looking to be a cruel, cruel summer.

Well, that sounds lovely.

So, Southern Europe is on fire, especially Turkey, but also Greece and Italy. Turkey is particularly horrific, as the government has mishandled things horribly and has very little firefighting capacity left. There’s at least one coal fired power station that may be lost, on top of the tens of thousands of people who’ve been displaced and several killed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/wildfires-burn-for-a-7th-day-in-coastal-areas-of-turkey/2021/08/04/e8420950-f507-11eb-a636-18cac59a98dc_story.html

Southwest Turkey, near Bodrum