Will COVID-19 kill movie theaters?

You can order it on Doordash here, direct from the theatres!

Wow. The only way to make theater popcorn even more overpriced, and they’ve found it. :P

I’m more okay with that now than I was last year.

I still suspect getting to go to it in the theater may be a problem, though.

I’ll have my second shot in 9 days. I’m not going to a theater for Kong, but for Dune? Yeah probably.

Also note I live in an area that has done really well over all, and has among the lowest incidence rates in the country. My opinion would be different if I lived in Florida, perhaps. But also by October? Yeah at the current state of things I really suspect I’ll have no qualms about hitting a local theater.

My concern is more if my local Alamo will be open. But, in fairness, Dune I might be willing to go to a regular theater for.

Ah I see.

Yeah we don’t have one of those locally. So that is a non factor.

Ever?

Shame, a lot of great memories at the dome.

I only saw one movie ever at the ArcLight, as I don’t live in LA. But it was the night that E3 closed, and Dark Knight was opening. Midnight showing. It was paaaaaaaaaaacked. Some kind of stupid fire alarm goes off about 15 minutes in and everyone has to evacuate. Spend 20 minutes outside, let everyone back in, and start the movie again.

And that was only part of my evening. A lot of the rest was ringing up ridiculously expensive cab rides over LA. I didn’t get back to my hotel room until almost dawn.

That’s your story Mr Wayne and let’s just say we believe it.

I haven’t been to the Arclight or Cinerama in years, but the idea that they won’t be around is sad to me. I hope someone snaps them up and reopens them soon.

I’ve seen a couple of movies there, but I’m also not from L.A. The last one was after E3 a few years ago, where they had a special one-week run of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I don’t know if it was the auditorium or just the E3 crowd, but damn if it wasn’t one of my favorite moviegoing experiences. And I had a short Twitter exchange with Edgar Wright afterwards, so bonus.

This would be just down the road from me:

I just YOLO’d 50k on AMC leaps based on this video. (not really)

I hadn’t been to an Odeon for a long time even before the pandemic, but if I wanted to, I could soon.

No official date for when my local non-Odeon cinema will re-open, but probably late May as that’s when the movies start to be released. Definitely not going till I’m fully vaccinated though.

My Alamo is scheduled to reopen (tentatively at least) sometime in July. That’s the one I care about. :)

My local cinema re-opened this week and is showing a bunch of stuff I do actually want to see: Minari, Judas And The Black Messiah, Nomadland. Also, they really want people to come:

Still don’t have my second dose, though, so I’ll not be going just yet.

Distinct lack of numbers, but: