Willow: The Series: All This And Warwick Too

Bad but endearing is a perfect description of Willow. It’s just lovely to watch, regardless of it’s many flaws.

I hesitate to call it “bad” more corny but endearing is a perfect description. We just watched it last weekend, first time for the 12 and 3 year old. They both loved it and will be stoked to know about the series. The score is one of the best of all time imo and I was glad to hear some familiar beats in that trailer. Super excited and I bet I know what the little one wants to be for Halloween now. He was already “practicing” being a knight during the movie and proclaimed “I should be in Willow” as he repeatedly drew his plastic sword with a scowl of seriousness on his face at every battle scene. Stayed in character the whole movie and we have been hunting monsters all week.

Yea, corny but endearing. Kind of a prelude to Princess Bride in the use of action and humor.

Ok, here’s a new trailer. Doesn’t really feel like the old movie and I missed the music, but as a fantasy show I guess it has potential! Will definitely check out the first episode.

Bit odd there is so little Willow in the Willow show though?

Seemed like he was in there more than any other character to me. Looks amazing - I love that they brought some of the old characters back too. Hope this ends up being a winner!

Yeah, it’s great to see Tiny Kevin Pollak back.

Glad to see Joanne Whalley back. Enjoyed her from first film with Kilmer. (and they are going to try to bring Kilmer back I heard, which could be neat if difficult).

Watched the first two episodes. It was cute. Very YA, but fine for what it’s doing.

huh! I was tempted to watch this with my almost 10 yo daughter, as we enjoyed the original film a few months back, but noticed the rating was 16+ so backed off. Usually that rating means trouble. What’s the verdict on the content for young 'uns?

Thus far two episodes in the show has basically been pg13 - no nudity that I saw and some blood and violence but well below an R imo. There’s been kissing and some mild sexual suggestiveness. Some mild language as well.

If there’s a reason for a 16+ rating it must come later.

Well, the Princess and her friend the wannabe knight are in love with one another and there was kissing between them. They are both female, so that’s likely why. Other than the same-sex romance (which is relatively chaste so far) that’s the only reason.

The other kissing scene was unremarkable lying down on a blanket in the woods between a kitchen-maid and a prince.

For the first two episodes? That’s it. I would have no problem watching this with my 8 yr old daughter.

Willow is a light-hearted fantasy romp, definitely as YA friendly as the original Willow film. I rather like it. It’s not GREAT, but there’s lots of fantasy on TV that has been worse than this.

So you’re saying it should be >50 rating, and not 16+. Cool, I’ll add it to our queue!

Pretty sure that’s not what I… checks notes… Uhhhmmm yeah, not what I said. :P

I was agree with this. One minor thing that annoys me is the hipster version of Kids Bop cover songs they play over the end credits. Can’t put my finger on why those songs rub me the wrong way (even though I like the originals) but boy do they.

Strange but I had family members say they only watched the first half of the first episode and turned it off because it was too violent - I guess they were really looking for Tinkerbell family Disney. I haven’t seen it yet.

There is a scary battle scene about halfway through the first episode but it’s a very fantasy sequence with very little blood. It could scare small kids but IMO it’s the kind of thing parents could talk kids through. It does have some scary people and monsters though. But very little blood and no real gore that I recall.

I haven’t watched this (the kids aren’t interested), but noticed there is a extraordinarily wide gap between the critic and viewer scores on both metacritic and rotten tomatoes.

I guess there are some LGBT characters/relationships, so is it just trolls review bombing? What’s going on?

Yes, it’s the normal “anti-woke” dumbass brigade from what I can tell.

This series is so damn good (it’s not Great Literature, but it’s fun and focused, and does the little things right) - is no one else here watching it? Love that the greatest challenge they overcome is really themselves (and their own doubts/fears/depression), and as a viewer I found it more believably threatening than any physical threat.

I’m watching and really loving it. Just a delightful cast on a fun adventure.