Willow: The Series: All This And Warwick Too

My favorite movie from when I was ten is getting the series that I was clamoring for (thirty years ago). It’s coming to Disney Plus as soon as shooting location Wales gets a handle on coronavirus and a few more contracts are signed.

Val Kilmer isn’t in the best of health these days but I’d love to see him do his old Harrison Ford impression/Madmartigan character again. Though the article makes it sound like whatever the plot of the show is about, it’s only tangentially related to the movie.

Cast little people, you cowards.

Yeah… that story / cast is not what I expected from a Willow follow up.

It’s been a hot minute since I saw the film, but I seem to recall the only main character who is a little person is Davis (Willow’s family and village are side characters with little screen time, even though they are impactful). Somewhat sadly, this is exactly what I would expect for a sequel. Still could be quite good, of course.

So, I read the WIllow sequels (War of Shadows), and they were pretty awful. You can see many of the ideas/themes that Lucas work into Star Wars later, but it’s just so clumsily written and plotted that it just doesn’t work. Still… it’s not just more of the same.

This sounds very much like it is just going to be more of the same. Not convinced that is going to work. I have a lot of nostalgic affection for the original, and I think it still holds up tolerably well, but I have no faith in Hollywood/Disney being able to recapture that magic.

and the fairy’s that fly around, but they don’t count :)

As a side note why is the original movie rarely shown? I loved that movie.

And Kevin Pollak was a little person who was littler than a real little person. (It would be great if he could reprise his role, too.)

Scuzz, FYI it’s on Disney Plus.

Willow was one of the first things I watched when I signed up for Disney Plus.

The Hijinks with the brownies did not stand the test of time, but the leads are all great and I’ve got a soft spot for it. Also a classic Horner score.

Have no idea what they’d do with a series. It’s not like it has deep lore. We’ll see.

24 episodes of brownie hi-jinks!

This was cute. Warwick introduced his cast with some Life’s Too Short energy. And Lobby Boy is in it!

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1459185516641873921?t=Rb0G3HRIyDmnsmpdNMSU_w&s=19

I am not seeing so much of that yet. However, they have cast a bunch of babies.

There is actually quite a lot of lore for the book. Lucas “wrote” a bunch of books fleshing out the series together with Chris Claremont.

Have them and read them. They add plenty depth to the world - just a pity the books are not very good.

That was delightful! Great to see Erin Kellyman from Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

EDIT: PS: it’s hilarious the Disney Plus account on twitter keeps tagging the wrong Will Smith!

Even if the show doesn’t end up being good, I’m pretty happy with that 2 and a half minutes with Warwick. That was hilarious.

And good on Erin Kellyman. She’s like 24 years old and already in the Star Wars, Marvel, and Willow universes. A trifecta.

I would never say that Willow is the best fantasy movie ever made. And I expect this series to be family friendly, meaning some rough edges will be filed down, actors will die relatively gracefully, bloodlust and lustlust will be tamed. But that teaser hit a lot of good spots for me. It isn’t just visually stunn-- visually impressive, the cast looks like they really belong in a Fantasyland. Even the lobby boy.

I’ll be quite satisfied if they just deliver a good story. I am perfectly OK watching blood and gore, but I really don’t get the point of today’s shock and gore school of TV. I can be entertained perfectly fine without.

I was pretty skeptical about this series, despite really liking the movie, but that teaser hit the right notes for me.

I’ll give it a shot, that’s for sure.

I’m guessing I should be watching the movie for the first time some day soon.

I’ve avoided doing that since its original release(I was three!), but not on purpose, I promise.

I love the movie, which is mostly bad but endearing.

If anything was going to get me to sign up for Disney+, it’s this.