Wind River (2017) Written and Directed by Taylor Sheridan

So I am going to try and keep the first post as spoiler free as possible. Tom and Dingus level of spoiler free. This is a 2017 movie that was written by Taylor Sheridan. Sheridan is the guy who wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water.

The movie is getting some good reviews and as of Aug 27 is sitting at 85% on Rotten Tomatoes - link.

If you’re curious to learn more about the movie you can find the trailer here and the Wikipedia link here.

EDIT: Thanks to @WhollySchmidt for catching that Hell or High Water was not directed by Taylor Sheridan. For the life of me I thought it was.

Ok so I don’t see many movies, but the trailer interested me. Is this one good? Forget the positive buzz, did you see it, and how strongly would you recommend it?

I liked it quite a bit–though it was definitely weaker than either Sicario or Hell or High Water.

I saw it yesterday (Saturday). I enjoyed it quite a bit. Would I recommend it? I think it would with the caveat that you don’t go in expecting this to be Hell or High Water but with snow. I think the performances were fairly solid but I have a fairly serious beef with one of the action scenes in the movie.

I think the second last line in the movie had me blinking furiously.

I’ve tried a couple of time to get interested enough in this to watch the trailer, but I can’t help but think it sounds like the name of a luxury retirement community somewhere in Arizona, possibly southern Utah. Surely they could’ve come up with something less generic-sounding.

Hell or High water was directed by David Mackenzie, pretty sure this is Taylor Sheridan’s directorial debut.

I love Sicario and Hell or High Water. I really really like Wind River. Sicario and HoHW set the bar pretty high, kinda sucks to be immediately compared to them. I hope Taylor’s direction will improve, this was a solid first effort. The writing was a little weaker here, and that’s on him though. The dialog was good, but the overall plot wasn’t quite up to Sicario or HoHW.

And I think Jeremy Renner wasn’t quite the right choice. He was fine as the stoic hunter, even as a man dealing with grief, but when he had to wax eloquent on grief or luck or whatever with his co-stars, I didn’t quite buy the (intended) weight of the dialog coming from him.

Action scenes: Did you not like the everyone-shoots-at-once moment? For a moment I thought that was great; immediate lethal chaos. On the other hand, Jane’s survival is far-fetched as a result.

Second to last line? I don’t remember exactly what that was, nor am I sure what you meant by blinking furiously. In disbelief, or fighting back tears? That final scene by the swing set was one of my favorite scenes in the movie.

When Martin asks Cory if he can sit with him, that really got me. I’m at work right now, I’ll post the actual quote when I get home. The quote is “Got time to sit with me?”

I liked the absolute chaos of the gun fight. What I didn’t like was the gun shot that knocked Jane back 15 feet or the gunshot from Corys gun that goes through the trailer wall and knocks the guard into the opposite wall. That was like Tarantino from Django Unchained. Those specific gunshots seemed OP.

Thank you for the catch on the director for Hell or High Water. For the life of me I thought Sheridan directed it as well.

I really liked this film as well. Just some great moments mixed with a few more tepid parts. I’ll agree that ragdoll physics didn’t seem reality-based, but that was just an eyebrow-raiser and I let it slide in a media which has had so many far-worse examples.

How violent/disturbing is it (spoiler free)?

Mrs Kub likes Native American stories, but is very sensitive to violence/violence against women/horror/thriller/bloody massacre stuff. E.g. likes some murder-mystery TV shows, but has to look away from the bodies, etc.

I think that she would find some of the movie to be troubling.

I kind of thought so too. Director of Sicario and the flixster blurb had me pretty much convinced that I’d be seeing this one on my own (like Sicario), but I figured I’d check.

Thanks!

I second @marquac’s warning.

Yup.5

Looking forward to this! I spend much of my free time in the area that this is loosely based on (Lander, Crowheart, Riverton) hiking the Wind Rivers, so when my GF and I saw the trailer, we were pretty excited!

Wind River is going to be the next Qt3 Movie Podcast movie. So if you’ve seen it, make sure to send some comments in about the movie before Sunday night at 10 or so Pacific time.

Well, I went and saw it solo today, and while she may have been able to handle it, she wouldn’t have liked it.

I liked it, but it’s kind of depressing. Great job of making life on the reservation an omnipresent force impacting everyone in the film. Reminded me a bit of the wire in that regard.

SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW. USE CAUTION.

My quick backstory first. I grew up in the far reaches of the Montanan Rockies, about a mile from the rez, but dang far from civilization. We had no running water or electricity, no paved roads, and no neighbors, though some Indians (they resented being called Native Americans) across the mountain had a sweat lodge, and there were many nights when I could fall asleep under the stars to the distant sound of their drums, and the wind rushing through the spruce trees along the high ridges.

Our little county was about 120 miles long and 60 miles wide, had not stop lights, and under 10,000 people. When I was in high school, our football team was a combo of rez and non-rez folks who chose the name “Savage Horsemen.” Despite the quaintness of all of this, drinking and drugs were huge problems. One young man stole some marijuana and some older, white drug dealers found him, cut him up with a chainsaw, and fed most of him to bears.

Since then, I’ve lived in a lot of places, but spent expensive time in Wyoming, where I also have a rental. I’m hoping to buy a place in either Lander or Pinedale in the next two years, though I live near Fort Collins, CO now.I was happy to have the time fall so that I got to see this movie in Wyoming. My showing was even better because I ended up being the only non-Native there.

Anyway, first off, the terrain obviously isn’t accurate, but it is serviceable, and I appreciated the way that Sheridan included elements that exist on the WR Reservation, from the red sandstones to the towering mountains to the parks, which most places call “meadows.” Having backpacked over 500 miles in the Wind River Range, spent tons of time in Pinedale, Lander, Dubois, Riverton, etc., and having just come back from a failed attempt at Gannet Peak (too much snowpack), I was very happy to be able to relax in the immersion of the names. If you’re planning on dumping someone off at Gannett Peak, though, I should let you know that it’s a 24-mile approach from the trailhead, or about 16 if you pay the $500-700 Indian “guiding” fee to access the Ink Wells trailhead on the rez.

Anyway, I loved this movie! Having worked EMS and seen so many rapes in that area somehow fail to “make it” into the statistics, and so many people abused, yet a failure for the wrong-doing to “stick,” I was very pleased with the ending. And having lived on or right by the Flathead, Crow, Wind River, and N Cheyenne reservations, this movie really hit home for me. The decades of unnoticed stagnation and deprivation in these lands has gone largely unnoticed. I recall when our helicopter was called in to Pryor, MT, because the medics had their ambulance, well, stoned and stabbed with knives, as weird as that sounds, so an aircraft had to remove the patient, and law enforcement removed the medics. It’s a section of America that isn’t represented often.

Although I’ve been blessed to meet A Martinez and Zahn McClarnon IRL, I’ve never met Graham Greene, so this movie made me really hope that I get the chance, given his role in Longmire vs here! Anyway, this is my favorite movie of the year! I’m so glad that Graham got work, and happy that Sheridan put the last little notes in the film that he did.

Worst part of this movie? Not wearing a helmet when sledding (or snowmobiling/machining, depending on where you’re from) will freeze off your entire neck and face if you try it in Wyoming, unless you’re going about the speed of a slow walk. My face hurt every time that I saw the sledding scenes.

Been up for about 20 hours now! Sorry if this is a mess.

Excellent post @Hal9000.

I found some weaknesses in this film for me, but compare to the rest of “the best”, this is a worthwhile outing.

I did not like Renner in the role. I mean he did ok, but I think they needed someone more Earthy in the role. And there were moments where his several monologs did not connect.

I am actually surprised I cannot talk trash about Olsen’s acting. She did ok. The writing around it was a little odd, and imho several actions gave contradicting signals (which may have been intentional). Is she good and experienced, or is she naïve and clumsy?

For me the final gunfight, while cool did not make a lot of sense. Those guys had to of known ahead of time they were going to get caught. Especially after killing one of their own. They should have run, and then Renner could have played Hang 'Em High.

And at the very end, the graphic about missing persons. That was not the central message of the film, and so there is a decent disconnect between that and the scene that had just taken place (the conversation and theme was more about loss). No one was ever really “missing”, though some were dead. It should have been said by Olsen or Renner during the film and it would make more sense, and give you a chance to think about it.