Windows 10 Auto-Restart and Destruction

I bought a new PC with W10 last July and have been really happy with it until last night. While viewing my e-mail and going to a state web site, the PC suddenly decided to re-start and then basically go into a coma.

I finally turned it off by holding down the turn on button, as that works with one of my older PCs.

The computer did try to run some diagnostics when I turned it back on, telling me there were no hardware problems. But it would never advance beyond the circular spinning whatevers.

Finally I tried using the option to simply restore the PC to factory release settings (I have very little on the computer except for games) and after supposedly successfully completing that task it once again never moved beyond the circular spinning dots.

So it looks like I need to take this somewhere that pros can look at it?

This looks suspiciously like what I experience with a hard drive that was failing, yet was diagnosing itself as being totally okay.
I jump through hoops for months with that computer, occasionnaly trying a reinstall what would then fail to boot, until it eventually wouldn’t even install properly to completion. I eventually changed the hard drive because I had a spare one, and it then worked without an hitch, so my advice would be to try to swap the hard drive, and see if it fixes your issues.

Any VPN software on that PC?

Also hitting CTRL+ALT+DELTE , during the spinning dots should get you to a logon screen, forcibly.

Using a wireless mouse? Unplug the usb nub while it boots, plug it back in at the logon screen.

How long did you wait?

I had a Windows 10 laptop sit with the spinning wheel for like 30 minutes, for it to spring to life and be ready to go.

I gave it maybe 10-15. Last night after trying the restore I did give it probably an hour on the spinning dots before finally giving up.

It does come up to the diagnostic DOS looking screen in a few moments. If it was a hard drive problem would it still be able to try to diagnose itself?

In my singular case, not only did it try, but it succeeded!

Not saying it is your problem, but swapping out with even the most horrible harddrive to check if it fixed the issue might be worth a try.

Given those symptoms, my guess would be bad hard drive or bad memory. I mean, it could be something else, but my first step would be testing the memory since that’s the least invasive. Flaky RAM can cause all sorts of weird of behavior. Memtest86+ is your huckleberry.

Or, since it’s only a few months old, just get them to fix it.

Well, after almost giving up I tried logging on again and noticed an option in the diagnostics allowing me to bring up the DOS help area common to all Windows OS, at least that I have used. I clicked that box. After the circular round dots appeared again for awhile the computer turned itself off. I had done nothing but click the option.

So I turned the computer back on and I suddenly found myself back at the initiation questions when you first turn a computer on after taking it out of the box and listening to Cortana.

And somehow everything seems fine, except my games are missing and I need to go get Steam again.

Weird.

I bought the computer in July 2017 so the warranty is kaput.

I would still run the test for memory, and possibly bad hard drive. I had similar symptoms when my SSD boot drive was going bad.