Windows 10

That depends on what you mean by cortana. Cortana technically handles local filesystem searches in the AU too, so it’s true that you can’t get rid of that. But you probably want that, I know I do. I have everything else disabled-- there is no “ask me anything” box, she can’t connect to the internet, doesn’t look through my appointments or answer questions, etc.

If I go info Windows Explorer and I type something like Spartacus, it will find nothing, literally nothing. I have to go to my documents folder and tell it look for a document and then it will find something. it’s the same behavior in the Search Windows as it is in Windows Explorer. It’s like it’s lost it’s ability to search for files unless I tell it to look right here, where i know it is…

This is different behavior. And before the update, I had Cortana turned off… and it searched fine.

Right, yours is actually broken. It’s not supposed to work that way.

More of an unexpected convenience. I’d never have noticed it was broken. Well, either they’ll patch in a fix, or for those few souls intrested in Cortana, I imagine a reinstall will be in order.

From the Start menu I can search. I don’t get much unless I tap the search category (ie documents), but then it seems to find everything.

Try going into indexing options and resetting the index. That might do it. Also check that your documents folders are in there.

It spent all night indexing. I actually have two document folders. I am not sure if that is right or not. I assigned my original documents folder to my storage drive instead of my SSD, standard practice, but all of them are listed as part of the search. If i filter to just documents… it finds it… that just shouldn’t be necessary.

It’s also weird because if i force it to find it, like say hey look at this Spartacus docx and filter to only find documents… it’s finds it as part of a Recent Document search… but it won’t find anything that way if the first word of the file isn’t the word in the search which is really obnoxious.

Ahh. Well, my other suggestion was to try enabling all of the cortana flags in Shutup10. Give that a shot.

Yup.

Yes, Windows 10 home here. It’s the computer I logged the registry access on, and tested it on, that identified this possibility. Thumbs up!

I had downloads scheduled and the computer on automatic sleep last night. Booted up this morning and zing zap pow, no fade in, no lock screen. Perfection.

Oh so it does work on win10 home? Cool! Bunch of people said it didn’t.

Gotta admit, having a command-line bash shell is pretty cool. No more having to install cygwin.

Is that live now? I tried googling it but the only articles I found were about enabling bash in a preview built from back in April.

Yes, it’s live.

Bash is not installed by default. You install it from Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off.

You also have to go to Settings -> Update and Security -> For Developers, and select Developer mode

A shortcut to bash.exe called “Bash on Ubuntu on Windows” will be created for you, which you can pin to your taskbar or start menu.

Well, here’s a nice surprise. After grudgingly moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop (mainly to have the same OS as is what on my wife’s laptop, in order to be better able to help her) I discovered a nice surprise.

The CD/DVD drive on my laptop has not worked for at least a year, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, removing it from Device Manager and letting it find it again on reboot and re-set it up again, etc. I just noticed - after the Windows 10 move, the built in CD/DVD drive works again!

Windows 10 - The Hardware Necromancy Update

@demagogue the solution I posted based on your finding that registry key has now been posted on tons of websites, ghacks, reddit a bunch of times, and was just added to Winaero Tweaker. You helped a lot of people get rid of a windows annoyance. Pretty cool!

I finally got my Bash working. As it turns out, my PC had downloaded the Anniversary update but had not installed it. So my Cortana wasn’t broken after all!

So I installed the update and did all the various and sundry machinations and lo and behold, yeah, I gots me a bash shell. Very cool!

lol. This is exactly why I wouldn’t have posted, had I been able to get the scheduler to work myself :-) Be interesting to see referral tracking for links to your post. I’d also be interested in the odds of Microsoft putting this workaround out of it’s misery now it’s gone mainstream. Nice to see that ghacks gave you a credit link for your steps.

I see people say that the lock screen comes back after several minutes. I’ve never seen it come back.

Also when googling to see people discussing this, I saw that on reddit someone confirmed you could rename the lock app and it would fall back to the logon screen (or set a policy to disable it if you had the right version of windows). Glad someone else confirmed this, as I wasn’t willing to try it.