Windows 10

I called and got it working, I just had to re-enter my Windows 8 key, and magically Windows 10 activated. It makes no sense, why did my old Windows 10 key that I had been using for over a year, not work?

Maybe they disabled the “free” keys they gave out last year during the assimilation drive; but kept the “get everyone off working Win7/8 systems and into Prism”-key translation in place.

I’ve had good experiences with MS support in the past with regards to Windows activation, mind you, its been a few years (and probably a few outsourced support companies across the globe).

As far as I know, they never gave out free keys. If you were a beta tester and remained in the “insider” program, they would provide a digital license. Same deal with upgrades from earlier versions of windows, that was a digital license too. But a digital license isn’t actually a key-- it only works on that specific computer.

Lordkosc, you said you had a win10 digital license, not a key. Like I’ve been saying, that is not transferable. You had a real key for win8, and that is.

Correct, only a Win 8 key, and that is the key that Win 10 also now accepts.

Right, you just needed to activate win10 with that key.

Hmm. New build had two complete instant shutdowns yesterday. Not necessarily Windows’ fault. I wasn’t doing anything very demanding, Skyrim mods and video I think. Maybe GPU related. I did see this a few weeks ago, again with Skyrim. I’d expect app crashes rather than system restarts :/

Is there a way to get single files out of old backups?

I have old backups from when I switched SSD main drives a few months ago. But the files I had on my desktop from Windows 7 were stored in the “OldWindows” directory. And slowly over time, Windows 10 erased all the files in the “OldWindows” directory, including all my notes and excel files that I used to keep on my old Windows 7 desktop.

Is there a way to access the old Windows backup I have on another drive, and pick and choose those files and pluck them out? I don’t want to actually roll back to that backup, I just need a few files from it.

What format are the backups? Windows .vhd files? If so, you can mount them in Disk management:

This works great, but do not click the Read only check box, it won’t work if you do.

Cool. Thanks, I’ll take a look tonight when I get home. Now I’m hoping they are vhd images.

So I won a Microsoft Store Win 10 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, and being smart, I redeemed the code on a laptop which lacks the oomph to run it. Anyone know if there’s a way to unattach it from that pc and run it on my mighty desktop? This has defeated me. And Lara needs me :(

Sure, if your desktop is on the same microsoft account you should be able to just install it.

I found the relevant button. That MS store is challenging :/ Thanks.

Stay away from it. Every user on that store means a higher chance of ‘exclusives’ for it and locked down "U"WP titles.

i’ve bought many exclusives from it and the store is shit.

PS Games For Windows Live fucking sucks.

Mostly I grabbed the Netflix app and the like, but I have a few other items as well. I appreciate how UWP apps are sandboxed, so unlikely to get into any of mischief. Program such as games really don’t need deep access from my system, and on the PC, it is hard to tell what sort of access an application will have or need.

That restriction goes both ways though.

And a lot of what games or applications request from the OS can be restricted/blocked with a good AV/FW solution, or even sandboxed like how Comodo does it.

But they don’t. Sorry, developers won’t police themselves, they don’t see why they restrict themselves.

More improvements to High-DPI scaling across multiple displays in the Creators Update (releasing next week)

You can get the Creators Update today, of course, but there are still more bug fixes in the works which will be ready next week once ordinary people start getting it.

Specifically: [quote]“For the first time, we have published a complete list of the diagnostic data collected at the Basic level,” explains Windows chief Terry Myerson in a company blog post. “We are also providing a detailed summary of the data we collect from users at both Basic and Full levels of diagnostics.”[/quote]