Windows 10

Ahh with an addon. Can’t help with that.

anyone know how to clear an alert in the new creators update defender/health center? it said i was low on space so i cleared a bunch but the little yellow exclamation thing is still on the shield icon in the system tray.

Maybe just a restart? Maybe you didn’t clean up enough drive space?

Looks like a restart was needed.

This is terrific - thanks for linking this. This is so much better than the assortment of config tweaks I have been trying to maintain manually. I wish I could chat with whoever at MS is responsible for ‘telemetry’ - it periodically soaks up CPU and disk on my main gaming drive when I wake the machine from sleep, and drives me nuts.

Well lookie here.

Thanks for the good software :)

After the most recent update the Edge icon is missing from my toolbar in Win 10 64. I never used it but left it there in case I needed it.

After some research I ended up running chkdsk C: /f /r /x. Still nothing. Edge gone.

Running sfc now.

Edit: And nothing. Any ideas? I mean, I could just download it. But I hate leaving issues like this unsolved.

Do you see MicrosoftEdge.exe in \Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe? Does it appear in the Start Menu after typing in a few letters?

In Start Menu nothing. It exists in the folder but clicking on the exe does nothing. Even tried running as admin and nothing. It seems to try to run. I mean the Malwarebytes Anti Exploit popup shows when I try to run it, but nothing runs. Noting labled Edge in Task Manager either. Weird.

Did you try re-starting one more time after the update re-starts?

I just did the 1703 update, and it went really well (only 20 minutes!), but when Windows finally started, I got a message that “Thermal Controller Not Functioning. Click okay to shut it down.” Or something to that effect. So I clicked okay, re-booted, and this time I didn’t get the Thermal Controller message. Instead, I got a couple of very quick tiny little DOS windows that flashed and disappeared. Shrug. So I guess it’s good now.

Edit: One more re-boot, and now it booted clean, no errors or funny behavior. In fact, I swear it booted much faster than it ever has before. Like, before, it was 25 seconds. I didn’t time it this time, but I’ll estimate maybe 15 seconds?! If so, I’m pretty happy about that.
Edit 2: I was delusional. 22 seconds. Still, it’s a little faster than before, I guess.

Yay! Just what I wanted to do on my one free day all week: deal with a fucked up system courtesy of the Creator’s Update! Thanks, Microsoft!

My machine informed me of the Creator’s Update today, so I kicked it off and went for a run. Came back and it’s all done, and everything appears to be working. Fingers crossed that there’s no land mines lying in wait.

Probably have to redo the privacy settings (as if you have any on win10) after the update; Believe MS has had a tendency to ‘forget’ your settings in the past.

Saw one good thing with Win10 a few days ago when someone at work used it to do some stuff with Docker for Win10/2016, seemed pretty great.

If you simply wait for windows update to download it for you, you’ll be better off in all ways.

1. before you install it, Windows will show you a full screen prompt where you configure all your privacy settings. It starts with what you currently have configured and you can change it however you want it to be after the upgrade is done.

2. There will be more bugs fixed, in case some are still around which happen to affect less popular configurations you happen to fall in.

3. You won’t get the update until Microsoft is more confident it’ll work specifically on your configuration (and conversely if your system is known to have problems you won’t get it yet)

4. It asks you to schedule the reboot and install for a time convenient for you in the future, instead of doing it for you automatically.

I just don’t see any reason for anyone to want to force it right away unless here are super specific features you really want right now.

Oh it’s definitely better to wait. I installed early because I simply couldn’t help myself. Unlike the anniversary update, I didn’t get screwed this time, but it was certainly not the right decision.

Have restarted several times since then.

Because microsoft withholds it from certain devices if they suspect an incompatibility early on?

For me, well, I run insider most of the time but I turned that off for now after the creative update. MS only runs out updates for the linux subsystem through insider. I did install the creator update right away on my new 4k laptop, the new per program DPI adjustments let me fix a couple of wonky Java apps.

MS is apparently paying attention, because they gave you more options for insider like ‘update only until the next big release’ and my favorite - no longer waiting for you to log in to finish an update. That crap was crazy annoying.

I did turn off game mode. By all accounts it’s just advantageous on older hardware if you want to go from unplayable to barely playable. It was killing performance on game external app rendering on my multiple monitor setup.

So I installed the Creator’s Update. No visible problems, but then I noticed my internet is a little slower than normal. I normally get 200-300 megabits/second. Tested and I’m getting 2-3 megabits/second. Tried new drivers, restarts of everything, etc.

Rolled back to Anniversary Update and back to normal speeds.

Props to Microsoft for making that as easy as it was, but damn, why would my internet be slower by 100x with the update?

What kind of hardware do you have, especially for networking? I can pass along a note.