Windows 10

No, I don’t have the same problem with Chrome and I updated this week’s Patch Tuesday. What security software are you using?

I use a trial version of Malwarebytes, and standard Windows Defender.

I just did a memory test, and no issues there either - I have steam running, but that shouldn’t do this. I suppose it could have been an ad on the two news sites I frequent that did something strange, because right now I don’t get the slowdowns after doing two reboots, windows memory check, and windows defende check.

Thanks for replying though, @rei - hopefully, its over now.

So it looks like Britain’s NHS did not deploy those security patches from March.

We’re taking national emergency right now.

Somewhere, some hacker is freaking out. The Brits are going to unleash James Bond on his ass. The Maleware just asks for $300 in bitcoins.

Yep. It’s all the NSA’s fault. Their mandate comprises both offense and defense. They focused exclusively on offense, and did not responsibly disclose those exploits. And now, massive damage.

I have had a problem with Facebook video playing causing the FB tab in Chrome to freeze. Not consistent, but it started after the last W10 update.

Beyond the initial infection, the spread is happening over SMB traffic via the EternalBlue exploit.

It’s almost like there’s a reason why Microsoft forces updates to be automatic by default.

People who turn off automatic updates are like those anti-vaccine nuts. They think they’re special and that they know better than doctors about how to protect themselves. Meanwhile, there’s nothing you can do when you get infected against your will.

And sure, sometimes a vaccine will go wrong and make you feel awful temporarily, but it’s still better than the disease it’s protecting you from.

I’m running stable release channel of Chrome 64-bit and run 70 tabs without issue.

I don’t think anyone on these forums has ever argued against that. Updates should absolutely be automatic by default.

I agree, but the interesting bit here is the huge institutions that didn’t keep their systems updated. That seems reckless.

I didn’t read this part before. You know what? Go fuck yourself. Equating my unwillingness to have my computer reboot against my wishes and destroy my data to being anti-science and killing kids is bullshit.

That’s pretty strong, and I didn’t actually say the stuff in the quote you attribute to me.

The point I was trying to make is that this story is not about individuals getting viruses, but huge institutions such as the NHS. I can’t understand why they, in particular, would hesitate to deploy critical security fixes.

I fixed the quote. You still agree with him though, so I cordially invite you also to GFY.

And no, that isn’t strong. What’s strong is comparing me to anti-vaxxers. That’s one of the most insulting things you could possibly say.

Well, I didn’t really think that through. It was meant as more of a ‘Yeah OK, but this is really about giant institutions not bothering with critical security updates.’ So, apologies for any implication that you’re as bad as an anti-vaxxer.

Maybe things have changed, but there was a time when having automatic updates on was like playing Russian roulette. You never knew when one might cause a major problem. We’ve seen it happen in other ecosystems too, like with PS3s some years ago (or was it 4s?)

And I never update iOS unless I have to, because it often causes problems.

Apology accepted. It happens, I replied to the first part of his post without absorbing the rest myself!

@Misguided: You’re much better off leaving autoupdates on, even though the forced reboots can destroy your data, unless you’re a sophisticated user who will remember to update yourself. If you’re concerned about bad updates you can delay them in Windows 10 with the “defer updates” setting. You can either switch to Business updates (which can be delayed by months) or delay feature and security updates separately by a user-selected number of days. This is a new feature in the latest “creator’s update”.

I still more or less behave this way, and feel it’s still true. It seems always best to play wait and see while others go first, before applying updates. I don’t feel like I know better, but the collective masses still frequently uncover issues. As recently as this month there was a patch to my NAS which would have caused me issues had I not waited while the vendor released a critical patch to their most recent update.

I JUST upgraded to 10 yesterday and haven’t messed with whatever the defaults are. Probably won’t unless there’s a reason. @Oscuros wholeheartedly recommended doing the upgrade, and I’ve had no issues so far. Didn’t even do a clean install. Man, times have changed.

The defaults are fine, just be aware that once it updates windows is gonna reboot within the next day or so and save your work.

I still like the way that Creator’s Update killed my ability to see USB 3.0 hard drives. That’s neat.