Windows 10

Wasnt there supposed to be some sort of music maker program with it? Kinda like IOS Garage band? I miss a good music maker program like the good old MOD makers.

There was one teased last year in a video compilation about the creators update, but it’s never been discussed in more detail. Must have been delayed.

aha! Thats probably what I remember reading about - thanks!

In case anyone is interested, you can still upgrade to 10 for free using the content creation tool.

I had seen this article from January:

I upgraded from 7 today and it went just as described.

Microsoft is also providing a free Windows 10 upgrade to anyone using technological assistance (you acknowledge that you are, and then download - please don’t lie. That would be wrong.)

Hi folks,

I’ve been browsing this thread for a long time in anticipation of a time that has now arrived. I’ve completed a new PC build (i7, 32GB RAM, 2-1TB SSD, 2-4GB HDD, GeForce GTX 1070) with all components except the OS, saving it for last because I’ve been so worried about all the Windows 10 horror stories I’ve seen here and many other places, and hoped that one day I’d read enough respected opinions which finally confirm that all issues are resolved and it is a solid, safe choice. I’ve read so many conflicting “Windows 7 vs. Windows 10” articles that my mind is blown, and I still can’t decide.

Can you folks please help me with this? It sounds like most here have Win-10 now. Is it better, worse, worth the hassle of tweaking those areas that need tweaking? Is the tweaking fairly straightforward? Do you regret changing?

If it matters, I don’t need any device-integration features, at least at the moment. I almost never use my Xbox, don’t own a tablet, and use my phone for only very basic tasks.

I guess my main concern would be that games, internet use, and applications continue to work without bugs or very much tweaking.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Windows 10 is on 500 million computers. More than Windows 7 now.

If those horror stories were representative of the mainstream, you’d be hearing a lot more about them.

Even if you care about the privacy violations like me, Windows 10 is basically unavoidable. Windows 7 is already desupported, and 8/8.1 have the same telemetry badware now. Run shutup10 and winaero to disable the spying and annoyances, and win10 is fine.

What he said.

Well, Windows 7 will get security updates for a couple more years. But mainstream support (in which MS will also add new features) ended after 5 years.

Oh heavens yes, I’d put 10 on a new build without a second thought.

Windows 7/8.1 if you value Privacy, Windows 10 if you do not care what microsoft and others siphon out of your computer.
Also; Windows 7/8 if you like Steam, GoG etc, Windows 10 if you want Windows Store/UWP to become the norm with locked down applications being the future (think Windows DRM on everything).

[quote=“LMN8R, post:3283, topic:75647, full:true”]Windows 10 is on 500 million computers. More than Windows 7 now.
[/quote]
This works best if you read it in Hannibal Lecter’s voice.

I can agree with the first half but not the second half of your post. MS recording a lot of things you do on Windows 10 and tell on you, with no way to opt out, is a big privacy concern. But you can still install Steam etc. in your Windows 10 machine. That UWP turning windows 10 into walled garden thing isn’t happening, yet, unless you have Windows 10 S (hint, avoid 10 S like the plague).

That’s like saying “avoid Chromebook w/ ChromeOS like the plague”. Can you even buy 10S to install on a desktop machine? :P

LOL, iTunes in the Windows store. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Thanks for all the responses! They have been helpful, and have given me the nudge I think I needed. Win-10 has been apprehensively ordered. So, I’ll probably be back here asking questions soon.

So, after the latest win 10 update, my browser now freezes randomly. I see on the Internet im not alone in this. Anyone had this happen to them, and have a solution? Sometimes, it feels like Windows is actively battling me 😐

That’s way too general of a complaint to be useful or to find commonality with others. “I see on the Internet I’m not alone in this” isn’t going to be accurate as it’s anecdotal.

You need to be more specific with what else you’re running/doing and what browser it is.

Using chrome to browse the internet with the same 7 tabs open I always have open. I don’t demand any kind of answers, I was just curious if others here had the same issue, and had found a solution.