Windows 10

Are they doing the free beta thing again this time?

The preview is free, sure.

Well obviously it’s called a hamburger button because the top and bottom lines are thicker and curved around the edges, just like hamburger buns.

Oh wait no they’re not it’s just another one of those stupid inappropriate names that somehow caught on. In a saner world it’d at least be called a “sandwich button”.

I switch to the technical preview’s fast lane and now my laptop won’t boot - ‘can’t find the OS’ :(

In fact even the BIOS can’t see the HD. Deary me :(

Yikes. That sounds like hardware failure.

Did you switch to or from UEFI?

I think that machine is too old for UEFI. Thankfully it’s a secondary machine. Wonder if it was anything to do with Win 10 at all.

I have a little USB to SATA/IDE connector that I use to troubleshoot just this sort of thing. It’s really handy to pull a drive and see if you can access it from another machine via USB. If not, maybe the drive failed? If so, maybe win10 hosed it.

I have one of these.

You literally just plug the SATA hard disk (3.5" or 2.5") in.

Only downside to it is it’s not self-powered, which isn’t really a concern.

I was able to hook the HD up to my desktop… and it cheerfully finished its Windows 10 upgrades and was perfectly happy in that machine. I put it back in the original laptop and its invisible again :/

And the now the blasted laptop boots with my desktop’s W7 drive and and desktop boots with the laptop’s W10 drive, but laptop + W10 drive just don’t go :(

ME NOT UNDERSTAND.

Run a SMART test on the hard disk, just in case.

But Windows can do this. I had one hard disk which worked absolutely 100% fine in XP and Linux…Win 7 boot drive? Nope!

Do you have an extra hard drive where you could do a “fresh” install of W10 and see if it’s the hard drive or the laptop?

Liveblog from today’s Windows 10 event
http://live.theverge.com/microsoft-windows-10-event-live-blog/

Here’s the live video

For those (like myself) stuck at work IGN is live blogging it here - http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/20/microsoft-windows-10-event-liveblog

Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 user? FREE upgrade to 10 for a year.

You Wut?

Free upgrade from Win 7/8/8.1 to 10 for the first year.

Who, Windows 10 is free for the first year if you have Windows 7, 8.1, or Windows Phone 8.1. That’s impressive.

Free upgrade to Windows 10 in the first year.