Windows Explorer quirk

Windows XP: I have my Windows Explorer set to open with the C: drive expanded, i.e. on the left side of the window in the folders the Local Disk (C:) is shown and underneath it the folders in C: are all shown (i.e., it opens with C: explanded.) The shortcut for my Windows Explorer is set up with the target as “%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, C:” to do this.

In the last few days, however, Explorer opens up showing the C: drive but there are no folders below it (i.e. it is not expanded) AND there is no + mark to the left of the C: drive, thus I can’t expand it. The right pane of Explorer does show the C: folders, but I have to double click on one of those to get it to display under C: in the left pane. At that point the + shows back up by the C: and I can exand it again.

How do I get the original behavior back, i.e. Windows Explorer open with C: expanded in the left pane?

Thanks

I don’t know, but why don’t you simply use a real file manager such as Total Commander? :wink:

Try tools/folder options/restore defaults; apply to all folders; open up again and reset your settings; then apply to all folders again.

You could always go for the old Amiga favorite, Directory Opus, which apparently got converted to Windows a while back.

Price is nuts, though – $67 US after currency conversion. If it was $30 or $40, I’d consider it.

Hmm - tried that, no joy. Just can’t seem to get it to open with C: with the +, i.e. it isn’t expandible. Also the expand option is grayed out if I right click on the C:

Wow - looks cool but not for that price. And with the other “pay” file manager listed above, I can’t get it to show a tree view in the left window and then the contents of a selected folder from the left window in the right window - just two duplicate and independant panes.

Hm, I dunno, other than screw aroudn with the complete set of command options:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

Or this: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe c:,/e,/n

Sure you can, the right pane just isn’t updated automatically. Enable the tree view (Ctrl+F8) in the left pane, then double-click a folder in the tree view to show its contents in the right pane.

Sure you can, the right pane just isn’t updated automatically. Enable the tree view (Ctrl+F8) in the left pane, then double-click a folder in the tree view to show its contents in the right pane.[/quote]

Ah - any way to make the right pane update by simply clicking once on the folder on the left, a la Windows Explorer?

Yeah, that’s the command option line I use. Worked great until this week, then the C: drive just stopped showing up as expandable. Thrppppt.

Sure, just uncheck the option Configuration -> Options -> Display -> Tree: Press Enter to open dir in other window.

Wow - looks cool but not for that price. And with the other “pay” file manager listed above, I can’t get it to show a tree view in the left window and then the contents of a selected folder from the left window in the right window - just two duplicate and independant panes.[/quote]

I’m using DOpus, and can’t live without it.

The main thing that won me over to DOpus, apart from enjoying it as a
Worbench replacement on the Amiga, is that when I drag a file on top
of a windows, that window does NOT pop to front if I haven’t set it to
behave so. This is important for me.

I can also drag files from a DOpus explorer behind the archiving tool
I’m dragging files into. The DOpus windows stays behind, where it
should be.

Renaming files is far easier - it highlights only the portion before the
file-extension.

If the window has just been selecting, and you prefer keyboard selection
of files and directories, an up arrow will select the topmost. Try this in
Windows Explorer; you need to arrow down THEN up.

Another useful option is clicking an icon to show sizes of directory
contents - this can also be automatically updated, if you don’t mind
the extra disk access.

There’s also built-in FTP functionality that I’ve never tried; the Windows
'puter is mainly for entertainment.