Windows fingerprint authentication

I recently picked up one of these bad boys. It works flawlessly in Windows 10. Every time. Authenticates Lastpass too! No drivers to install, everything is built-in.

I have USB ports on the right side of my keyboard, which makes it very convenient. If you have to reach towards a USB hub or the side of your computer, or if you have a laptop and don’t want to leave the thing plugged-in, it may not be attractive for your use-case. But I love it-- strongly recommended,

What desktop keyboard do you have that fits this? Looks like a sweet little device. Authenticating lastpass alone would make it worth it.

I have an elderly Das Keyboard. Their newer models don’t have the USB ports in that perfect spot.

Ah. My keyboard has it on the back as well, not terribly convenient unless its fingerprint reading works bidirectionally.

It does not work bidirectionally. It’s a swipe reader, and you need to swipe in the same direction that you originally set it up. You swipe across the little slot, perpendicular to it, not along it.

It would work fine on the back, it’ll just look a bit unnatural doing it. It’s not something you do particularly frequently, so that should be fine.

Just so you know, while the police/feds can’t force you to disclose a password, they can force you to provide a fingerprint.

A court in Virginia recently tackled this issue [PDF] and came to the conclusion that police could compel the use of a fingerprint to unlock a suspect’s phone, but could not force the suspect to turn over his passcode.

Yep I’m very aware. I wouldn’t leave it on traveling to China, but otherwise don’t particularly care.

That “every time” bothers me enough to ask, “Did you have someone besides yourself give it a try? It may be that it just works for everybody.”

I’m joking, mostly, but still, I wonder. I’m naturally suspicious of these devices.

No, but it only works on the finger I enrolled.

Does this require a TPM chip? Isn’t that where Windows stores biometric information securely? (Apple stores TouchID in an encrypted chip separate from the processor, as well.)

It will work on any windows 10 computer. Unlike iOS if your computer is compromised they could probably steal your fingerprint.

Are you using this on your laptop or desktop?

Both, I actually got two. But both are plugged into the USB port on my keyboards, I have two of those Das keyboards too.