Windows This One Goes to 11

They are NAS devices that people left exposed to the internet which haven’t been updated since 2015. So, yeah. I don’t even expose my Synology NAS to the internet. In fact, I block outgoing packets from it too.

I figure they want secure boot to try and kill off at least some security problems.

Yeah, TPM is used for Secure Boot, but also for storage of login passwords. It is also used for generation of cryptographic keys. Even if you don’t encrypt your device or use biometrics, you’re getting benefits from TPM.

He makes it sound like it’s done via some kind of web emulation, but through Amazon’s App Store. So not ANY app, but presumably, any app in the Amazon store.

I’m positive there will be some way to sideload whatever you want, likely including the Google play store and services.

The use of the Amazon store seems weird to me. Did Google not want anything to do with it or something?

Yes, they don’t allow any similar emulators to use the Google play store. Bluestacks etc.

No Widows 11 for me. Looks like it requires an 8th-gen Intel processor or later, so my 6700K isn’t going to cut it.

I’ve been holding out on upgrading but maybe this is the sign that it’s time.

Everyone’s trying to make sense of why MS drew the line they did on CPUs. A lot of systems that have TPM 2.0 aren’t making the cut because MS seems to exclude everything prior to 8th-gen Core on the Intel side. That makes a bunch of the Surface line ineligible.

Yeah, it seems weird and arbitrary to me. So I’m going to hold off on spending $2500 on a new PC until Windows 11 launches just in case they change their requirements after seeing the likely backlash.

My 6700K with a 2080 Super is doing just fine for daily work and gaming at 1440p.

Windows 10 is good to 2025, so I am not in a rush.

The only thing I can think of is 8th-gen Core is when Intel began incorporating mitigations for Spectre/Meltdown.

Hardcore, man. I got my 3070 system for just about $2k however many months back.

I suppose if you’re upgrading from a 2080 Super that’s just the price of poker, heh.

One option would be to get a new system without a videocard and just transplant the 2080 Super to it, then wait out the supply constraints on 3080s, but we’ll see what happens in the coming months.

Heh, when I built my Ryzen desktop two years ago, I ordered the wrong TPM module. It only cost about $15, so I didn’t mind. It’s somewhere around here. If I can find it, I can sell it for like $100 on eBay right now.

TPM chips are the new TP!

Is this documented somewhere? Because yeah, my desktop and laptop absolutely can’t make that requirement.

Beat me to it.

I found this.

Thanks, good to know. My desktop’s on its last legs anyway so it’s not as annoying as it would be - I doubt it’ll last to 2025. Honestly if we could just get out of this damn apartment I’d buy a new system right now.