With big guns & a bionic dog, Necromunda web-slings through the world of Warhammer [review]

Title With big guns & a bionic dog, Necromunda web-slings through the world of Warhammer
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game reviews
When June 9, 2021

Necromunda: Hired Gun is the best Spider-Man game since Spider-Man.  My magic web-shooter/grappling hook can get me anywhere I can see.  A quick thwip and I'm standing on a ledge high overhead!  The double-jump assist is just gravy..

Read the full article

OK, your comparisons to Jedi Knight are the first thing I’ve read that makes my ears perk up a bit. I always loved how dizzyingly high things could get in that game, how it’s one of the few video games to actually make me feel a bit of vertigo. I remember that one level where you had to go through these fuel lines to hitch a ride on this giant starship and at the end there’s this elevator, open and exposed, and it just. Keeps. Going. Up. If this game has moments like that I may need to check it out.

I wanted to love this game so much, and I do like a lot about it, but I hate the actual shooting and movement. The shooting feels mushy and oddly disconnected from my aiming. On the movement side, I feel like I’m sliding around, always just barely out of control. To me, even the grappling seems janky.

Still, I’m glad to see the Streum On folks plugging away at the concept. Maybe someday they can give us Divine Cybermancy 2.

Totally great and fair review about an awesome yet weird and janky-as-hell game. I hope they add to it with DLC or a sequel, because it’s great.

Man, that was my least favorite thing about Jedi Knight. It didn’t just refuse to hold your hand, it actively asked you to find a needle in a haystack without telling you what a needle looked like.

Yeah I am loving this game, jank and all. Gonna be in my top 10 for the year. :)

I look forward to more @lordkosc photo albums from your vacation time in Necromunda! :)

-Tom

Gotta choose one.

We!

I naturally fall into second person as I’m writing, but I tend to prefer first person. So sometimes I’ll go through and meticulously change everything to first person. Sometimes I’m not so meticulous.

-Tom

Looks like I need to find a copy of Eye Design Cybermancy.

It’s easy to find, but it’s probably rated NFB* for extreme Frenchness, obtuse design elements, and images of graphic jank:

-Tom

* Not For @Brooski

Switching the language to Frecnh might help. But it requires editing the names of hundreds of files — they couldn’t be bothered with an actual language switch in-game, or proper file hierarchy.
it’s E.Y.E.

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, most famously known as “that game that’s constantly on sale for 90 cents on Steam”.

Did somebody gain brouzouf?!

I keep meaning to ask, so here is as good a place as any, but what happened to the Front Page category? It looks like it hasn’t been updated in a long time?

More importantly, what about their legs?

I’ve been listening a lot to Junkfood Cinema over the pandemic, and one of the mantras of that podcast is “it’s not a good movie, but it’s a great movie”. And I feel that so applies to Necromunda: Hired Gun. There’s so much you can complain about - why is the post-mission loot screen designed like that, why am I flying into the stratosphere when I got locked into an animation with an attack dog, why is the narrative what it is. It’s does not in any way check off all the boxes that a good video game should. But when it comes to the movement, the guns, the Warhammer environmental design? It’s a great fucking videogame, and I played it until I 100%-ed it.

Huh?