Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG, CryEngine

Yes, you just can’t bring offline characters online.

Liking it so far. The one word thing I’ve come across is bats that are super difficult to target or hit.

Anybody know how you can use spells with a two-handed weapon. Are there spells that use something like a bow or greatsword, or would you have to use something like pistol and catalyst?

My understanding is if you use a two-handed melee weapon you cannot use spells. However, there is a unique 2 hander that I saw in a video today that granted the use of lightning spells, and the person showing it was able to slot things like the turret with a modifier that turned it’s damage to lightning. He was also able to slot the fireball spell with a similar modifier.

But otherwise, yes you’re correct, you would need a one handed melee weapon and a one-handed caster offhand.

Cool. And I LOVE when games have build-defining uniques like that, the kind of thing that in Diablo 2 would have had you make a new character to use it.

Can’t get in. Even when it said I did get into “online mode”, I immediately got an error saying it timed out. Was looking forward to playing this all day, so that’s a bit disappointing.

I guess I could play offline…

I connected but ended up having random errors as well, so I just kept playing my offline character.

Which is totally fine.

Do you lose anything playing in offline mode? I know you can never take that character online, but I will probably never play multiplayer anyway.

What about taking online characters offline? On Diablo 3 Switch you can go offline and it just makes you ineligible for leader boards.

Is there some other kind of competitive aspect to this game that requires being more vigilant against cheats?

Not that I’m aware of, unless they ever end up having some kind of specific online mode or event that isn’t available in offline mode.

It’s kind of an odd way to do it, but it works I guess.

It will log you in, it just sometimes takes 2-3 attempts. I’ve been able to consistently play online this evening and I’ve reloaded the game a couple times. In all cases, once I tried to connect a couple times and got in, I didn’t have any further issues once I was in-game.

No idea on any of the above, unfortunately. I just shut down the game to download a new patch, I’ll see what happens when I switch to offline. I’m guessing the online/offline characters are completely separate pools with no way of downloading to local, but I’ll take a look and verify.

EDIT: Switched to Offline and didn’t see any way of downloading my online character.

I just started trying to download and the speed is painfully slow. Someone give extra kibble to the hamsters!

Yeah, I got in finally. The game feels…weird. I am so used to Grim Dawn, and the combat feels a lot slower, more deliberate (maybe the controls aren’t really as responsive because of it?). I picked up a two handed sword and swinging it took some time, and then you can’t just mash your special skill. Not saying its better or worse, just very different feeling.

There is an update, so the game was telling me to exit so it could update, so I did. I will get some more play time in it tomorrow, but I am excited to dig in. Looks great and it feels different than other ARPGs.

There are pretty major attack speed boosts to be had either via the agility stat or the skill wheel. If you go the green route at first, there’s a 50% attack speed boost you can reach by level 6 or 8 or so. I usually go that route to start because I like the more snappy feel.

Yeah, that’s a great node.

The game crashes when I exit, but no other issues.

Deathgazer Railgun is one of my favorite aRPG skills ever.

Gave it a go in offline, since I couldn’t create a game online.

It feels nice enough but man performance is in the toilet for me. It goes from 90fps in the first proper area down to 30 soon after, with no enemies on the screen. It’s this start area:

The guy in the pic above seems to be getting 60 at supposedly max settings, on an RX 570 at 1080p. I am at 1440p with some settings turned down on a 2080ti.

Anyone else get this?

Just played a bit, got to level 4, and it seems real nice so far. Maybe we can get a friends list going? I am:

charlatan.3313

Hopefully that’s account based.

I didn’t, no. 30-90fps on a RTX 280 (I think) at ultra wide. I didn’t play long though, will pay more attention tonight.

To clarify: I was getting 50-70 with occasional brief dips to 30. I haven’t even gone into settings and played around though.

Edit: using a 2060.

looks like you have not turned off motion blur

No, I stay steady at 70+ on a 1080 with max settings on an ultrawide (3440x1440) so your 2080ti should be smoking it.

I think I might be one driver version off the very latest, but other than that everything is bog-standard on my end.

Hmm so how come @LeeAbe above is getting 50-70 with drops to 30 on a RTX2080 at the same res, without changing settings (which I think default to Medium)? Odd.

Haha that’s not my screenshot, it’s from a Youtube vid. But coincidentally no, I haven’t. :)