Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The man in the high castle gets shooty

Goddam it, I bought the physical version from Amazon to save the 20%, and they promised delivery Friday, but last time this happened, I didn’t get it until Monday. They better get it right this time, as I have Friday off.

Fun fact: despite us also having our fair share of neo-nazis and right-wingers, the violent nature (which German authorities were very touchy about in the early days of the FPS genre) and nazi symbols being shown (a big no-no for games here) were the only notable cause of controversy in Germany. And that was mostly Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - ever since Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the series has been officially available in Germany with nazi symbols being replaced.

Dear God why would you leave Twitch chat visible? It’s always a cesspool.

Well, if it’s any consolation, I believe 90% of them are usually just Internet trolls, not real nazis, they will say whatever extreme thing they can imagine to rile people up.

I refer you to Popehat’s Rule of Goats.

Yeah I know. The fact that so many people get a kick from trolling and bothering other people is also worrisome.

It rarely is on a well moderated channel. There are usually a lot of memes, but most streamers don’t tolerate racist bullshit. In fact I’ve never seen one that does. Most don’t even allow politics at all.

AJS has more trolls than usual, but in the past they never would have tolerated the shit I was seeing. I saw one mod and his only statement was along the lines of “are you serious?!” The dude never said he wasn’t and then kept talking racist shit. He never got chat banned so then the rest of them crawled out of the woodwork.

Big channel, “politicized” game (because killing Nazis and the Klan is wrong or something) it’s going to happen, but most channels drop a ban hammer from orbit on that kind of stuff. Cohhcarnage streams the same game and his chat doesn’t remotely have anything like that and he’s got 12k-15k+ viewers to AJS’s 1k-2k.

I don’t know who AJS is but I like to watch Cohhcarnage partly because of his content but also because he does try to keep it positive and doesn’t let that troll shit fly. Most other streamers I watch are pretty small and don’t get that kind of attention so I guess I’m lucky to have avoided the worst of those comments.

The coolest streamer is that McMaster guy. He’s so cool. and humble.

I heard that every time you watch McMaster stream, you earn +10 points towards getting into The Good Place.

10 points on your Sizzler loyalty card

Angry Joe Show. It’s usually just Delrith playing games, not either of the Joes, as was the case here.

And Cohh is great. Of course he also has an army of mods that he compensates.

I guess most of my actual Twitch watching is DotA tournaments, so “big channel”. I immediately close the chat, because it’s just a stream of hatefulness. Other streamers I tend to watch on Youtube.

I also just realized I watch 0% of streams live, I almost always catch them after the fact on YouTube.

Holy crap is right!

I just got a chance to come up for air and this is off to a great start. If there is something more fun than shooting Nazis in the face it’s taking out their legs with a hatchet. “Does this end shoot Nazis? I’m sure it will work just fine.”

Yeah, they really aren’t pulling any punches, are they? Can’t recall a game that made you hate the bad guys more than this one does (not that you needed any help with that, really).

Anyone else trying to play this using the Steam controller? The guide button doesn’t work, and all of the inputs seem to be messed up. It’s working fine in the five or six other games I’ve booted up to test, I’ve run through the diagnostics, and the firmware is up-to-date.

The writing in this one is surprisingly great. I suppose it isn’t a huge surprise since it was the same in the previous game.

They really do a great job making you feel for and against characters. I hate the enemies and feel for my allies.

In a typical fps you would expect the big brute shooter to be emotionless and bland, but this game really spends a lot of time adding depth to him.

Shooting gameplay is still great of course.

This is what a modern shooter should be.

Definitely. And when was the last time you played a shooter where the entire first level or two had you rolling around in a freakin’ wheelchair, frustrated by stairs and obstackes? Brilliant, and I mean that entirely without sarcasm…