Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Looks like there’s also a VR tie-in game to accompany it.

This has gotta be good with that music!

Fuck yeah, Carpenter Brut, Turbo Killer! Love that whole album.

Yeah, same here… instantly recognized it, love the shit out of it.

Never got around to making that electronic music thread. :/

I just found out about this game - how did I miss this!?

Somehow you did!

I will pick it up eventually once it hits my patient gamer price threshold. I have a backlog of Wolfenstein games , still having not played The Old Blood nor Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

Everyone forgot!

I’m in the last phase of Wolf II: The New Colossus. But I did buy the version with all the DLC, so I should at least try some of the DLC too, despite @robc04’s warnings. Plus yeah, I still need to play through the rest of The Old Blood. I reached Castle Wolfenstein in that one, but I got stuck on a particularly hard stealth section, and I need to get back to that.

So yeah, I’m with you @lordkosc, as much as I love this franchise, I’m going to wait until my Wolf backlog comes down a little.

Thread needs more game talk. I just got this with my vid card purchase but, as with most free games with video cards, it’s not usually of a genre I’d play. Can you sell an RPG/Adventure/Strategy gamer on this?

It’s set in an alternate universe where Germany got their hands on advanced technology during World War 2, which led to an overwhelming victory for them. Fast Forward to the 60s, then 70s, and now the 80s in the upcoming game Youngblood, where it’s what the world looks like in that alternate universe. So from an RPG/adventure point of view, you might really dig the atmosphere and world and story beats they create. You can play on an easier difficulty level if you want to spend less on the shooting and stealth portions of the game.

I’m not sure about this one in particular since I haven’t played it, but the other games had some excellent, witty dialog. Also some of the scenes were just nuts - in a good way.

Ah, similar to BioShock perhaps or more fast-paced? That’s an example where I’m not fond of the gameplay, but love the atmosphere. I even played the Mass Effect games on an easier difficulty to avoid the shooter aspects and that, at least, is an RPG. If a straight up FPS can be tailored to give an experience less shooter-y, then I’m all for it.

The pace and gameplay varies a lot in the previous games in the series (I obviously don’t know about Youngblood yet). A lot of sequences revolve around stealth. So if you can sneak up behind someone, you can get an instant kill. But if you get discovered, you don’t have to necessarily reload, since they give you enough of an arsenal usually that you can overpower your enemies. There’s other sequences in which you control a huge minigun or huge laser weapon and can mow down enemy mechs and other enemies and feel really powerful. It varies a lot.

Personally, I say drop the difficulty down to the lowest, and enjoy the world, characters, and story. The higher difficulties get pretty brutal, and for me at least that didn’t mesh well with the Nazi-killing power fantasy aspect. BJ does not seem like someone who should be struggling his way through.

Good tips, I’ll likely do as y’all say.

Interestingly, I do remember playing a Wolfenstein game on the SNES, I believe (rented it). I recall a maze-like area where some Nazi boss would scare the bejesuses out of me, appearing with double arm guns blasting me to death. It was stressful.

It’s a shooter through and through. But it’s a good shooter. It has upgrade mechanics in place for the guns and very limited ones for your character. Youngblood is apparently going to build on that and might be more *Shock/Dishonored like, but we can’t say how much so it really will resemble them. We just know it’s got more open level design straight out of Dishonored and there’s more upgrade mechanics planned than we’re used to (IIRC).

And IDK, it’s sort of nuts. Not in the tryhard Serious Sam way. What others are saying about dialog/scenes. If I described everything that had happened up to this point you would probably think I was tripping or think half of it was stupid. And a lot of it would sound stupid. But it’s glorious, silly, fun. Nazis possessing giant war machines (mechs, giant super tanks, crazy airships, etc) is by far the least weird thing about the series.

I wouldn’t really call this a spoiler for The New Colossus, but one of the wild things is that somehow, by the mid-late 1960s, the alt-history victorious Nazis have not only taken over the USA but also established a base on VENUS. Sh’yeah, right! as Wayne of Wayne’s World would say.

Is Youngblood already out? The conversation in this thread is confusing!

6 days left!

We’re discussing the series as a whole.

It’s actually less than that on PC - looks like a tweet came out yesterday announcing it’s coming a day early for PC players. Very cool.

However I managed to completely dodge this game’s existence, I’ll need to skip it for now as Fire Emblem drops the same day and then in a few weeks, Age of Wonders makes Planetfall (so to speak), so I don’t really have time for even a short, fun FPS, but I’m very excited it exists to pick up once I have a free weekend. I’ll be watching for impressions!