Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

That’s what will make his vengeance so sweet in Justice League Dark: Rise of the VVülflord

I’m only interested if it’s directed by Knox Harrington.

I should have been clearer, perhaps.

There was nothing wrong with Killmonger’s motives or the character himself. I just didn’t think Michael B. Jordan’s performance was anything special, it didn’t make me care about the character at all. He is just an OK actor, to me, and it was probably one of the weakest performances in the film and yet everyone is raving about it like he should have won an Oscar.

But maybe it was just the writing or direction - I feel we were not given enough time with this character, and I don’t recall there being much development there. I just didn’t buy all that “emotion” we saw from him in the film’s finale.

Ares was, however, far worse.

Killmonger’s character isn’t just the role Jordan played. It’s him as a kid and it’s the setup. Just imagine what that kid went through. Loving father one day, next day finds him dead and finds a journal flipping his whole life on its head (including figuring out somewhere along way that his uncle killed his father for standing up to him). That kid absorbed all of his father’s thoughts on Wakandian exceptionalism and isolationism, and then lived (presumably) a life of extreme hardship while know that just the dregs of Wakanda’s fortune would completely change his life and so many others like him.

Just saw the preview for WW2 and you know --I am rooting for DC to come to grips with a IP that they can do well. I Thought WW was good if not B+.

Gal Gadot is a great WW so I will stay hopeful until I am ultimately disappointed as usual with the new crop of DC movies. Unless… we shall see.

There is so much in the trailer that looks like overkill.

You mean 80s awesomeness… right!

Maybe I’m just not clued in to the 80’s feel in general (despite growing up in it), but other than a few flashy colors graphics etc, I wouldn’t really have known it was set back in the day. Too much flashiness maybe, not enough brown sofas and nintendo cartridges.

You don’t think the music, the clothes, and the fanny pack appropriately set it up? It was instantaneously clear to me, at least.

This at :26 was kindof a dead giveaway as well.

I know what the title of the film is, I worked on it for a year. I’m just saying the setting doesn’t feel tied in to the narrative in any concrete way that doesn’t make it feel like a thin veneer, and there’s enough of the technology left over now, and kids wearing retro clothes from charity shops etc that it could easily be confused for present day, especially when half the trailer is in the White house or fancy ballrooms and beaches or whaever that are fairly timeless. 80’s wasn’t that long ago, you have to try harder. /shrug.

Contrast it to Stranger Things, where they bring in cultural aspects (DnD, the suburban home etc) as well as aesthetics, and the whole thing breathes it. Anyway, no bearing on the movie, and I’m just talking about the trailer.

Are you comparing the content of Stranger Things, the show, to the trailer? Was the ST trailer more 80’s than this trailer? Honestly, it’s a bit of a weird nitpick, based on a trailer.

Yeah, I guess I’m saying the year thing, massive 1984 logo and all, feels like a gimmick unlrelated to the WonderWoman story they are telling. Whereas the WW2 thing was more integrated. The 60’s would have been more overtly different and iconic, but because I grew up in the 80’s, and am not feeling the relatable nostalgia, it just leaves me cold on their take. Maybe if I grew up in the White House and on the red carpet?

By WW2, you mean World War I? Assuming that’s right, WWI is an event, not just a cultural era. Events like that are easier to tie into a plot. It’s not like the first movie explored the '10s culture, much.

And again, I think it’s really weird to pick at this, based on a trailer, unless you know more about the plot than the general public, because you worked on the movie.

I think you picking at my picking is making it way more of an issue than even I think it is, but yes, I know the general plot (it’s right there in the trailer pretty much) and point taken about WWar and yes, they might work in more of the world events of the time in the flick, but not in the trailer. Hence the nitpick.

We do not need more stuff set in the 60s. But yes it would be hugely different if they did set it there… again.

I’m not wishing it were the 60’s, I’m wishing the trailer had done a better job selling the 80’s, if they’re going to make a big deal about it, by not just setting it at that time, but actually calling the movie 1984. meh! Who cares.

Eye glasses, shoulder pads, music, the color scheme, like the way they’re doing some sort of aerobics in the middle of the mall, the shape of the cars, square color TVs, bad guys in jeans, Waldenbooks… that’s the first 46 seconds. You can dice this thing up pretty easily to find the 80s stuff, and that’s just the trailer.

oh I forgot big hair. Heh. Big hair!

I know ! It’s crazy! I’m not getting the vibe! It’s like someone is handing me a big mac, saying it’s a big mac, I taste it, it’s just any hamburger! I’m weird!!! Even weirder, [Verhoeven] Robocop, set in 2000-whatever, feels more 80’s than this movie made in 2020 set in 1984! I’m bonkers.

Well we’re in luck. This doesn’t come out until the summer so there might be another trailer before the movie and then you can get some reviews from the actual movies.

I don’t know that I feel nostalgia persay. My memory of the 80s blurrs into the 90s, but I do recognize a lot of it even if they don’t nail the feel as well as say the Goldbergs do. Then again, the entire point of the Goldbergs is to bring you back while this one should be like Captain Marvel… more of a setting with just enough to remind you, but it’s still a superhero movie.

80s music was definitely very different from 90s music. But they both sucked.