Wordle: Everyone is Suddenly Playing It

Matt Damon was lucky enough to figure out where 4 letters were on his first guess, and he still took 3 guesses to win? What a loser.

Lots of Wordle clones floating around out there, but this one seemed β€œfun”, or at least a clever reason for making another clone:

https://swag.github.io/evil-wordle/

How does it work?

There’s no word set by default. Every time you guess, I look at all possible 5-letter words that would fit all your guesses, and choose the match pattern that results in the most possible words. The goal is to maximize the amount of guesses it takes to find the word.

More interesting than actually fun, especially if you play it a few times and start to notice the patterns it steers toward.

Fortune favors the _ _ _ _ _

I just turned on the hard mode, but was playing in self-imposed hard mode anyway, so no big difference. And the once-a-day thing is a big plus. Otherwise, I would probably be done within a day, now all those attempts are spread over many more days!

That was my exact first thought. β€œYour apples are shitty!”

Urgh, American spelling of words is the devil.

Thanks to JonRowe’s IRATE.

Wordle 206 2/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I’m very much in favour of picking odd/unique words as my first guess. Going straight for the optimal feels, again, like it’s a job rather than a fun game…

Perhaps I am officially sentimental and therefore β€œold” now…

If you’d like to play older Wordles, here you go:

That guy’s gross but…

Lingo is totally what I was thinking of, it really is extremely similar.

Wordle 207 5/6*

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tricky. Tried another starting word (irate instead of rogue), which did not help.

Wordle 207 6/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That didn’t go so well!

We had a similar approach:

Wordle 207 5/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 207 4/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Could’ve gotten it in 3, but I had 2 choices and chose poorly.

Wordle 207 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My mode average seems to be 4.

Wordle 207 2/6*

β¬›πŸŸ§β¬›πŸŸ§πŸŸ§
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

woke up to British Twitter being all outraged, made the answer rather easy to find!

Wordle 207 4/6*

⬜🟦🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟧🟦⬜⬜
🟦🟧⬜🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧