World Cup 2018 - No Match Discussions

Poor Portugal. Picked by no one. Ronaldo gets no respect 'round here.

Circumstance. In the ranking groups, they’re tough to pick here over Germany, Brazil, or Belgium. And…the Iberian group is not a pushover. Spain tomorrow, and Morocco looks a live longshot. And whomever comes in second from this group likely gets Uruguay in that first knockout match. (Which, poor Uruguay. WIn or come second in their group, they draw Portugal or Spain most likely in the first knockout.)

What are the asterisks after Chappers, lantz, rowe and bob? My guess is that indicates they are dirty cheaters

Very nice. Those asterisks are from when I had larger groups and I had too many people with too similar teams in a group. After I changed to smaller groups I forgot to delete the asterisks.

Possibly correct but only by complete coincidence.

So last World Cup I recorded all the matches on my PC, but the way my recording system works is it basically records the raw cable feed, which meant an hour of HD was eating up gigabytes upon gigabytes. For instance, Russia v Saudi Arabia is about 12 GB.

This time, I’m going to transcode the matches daily down to h265. So instead of 12GB, it’ll be like 1 or 2GB. Then I can archive the entire World Cup.

I’m "DVR"ing them all via YoutubeTV. The DVR only holds stuff for a year, but is theoretically infinite. Plenty of time to transcode later if I feel like being frisky (I won’t).

Friday’s games CST (-6:00):

Egypt vs Uruguay 7:00 am CST

Morocco vs Iran 10:00 CST

Portugal vs Spain 1:00 CST

I’ll post the first set of standings tomorrow night.

Think you might be out by an hour. I’m pretty sure the first match starts at 12:00 UTC, the others at 15:00 and 18:00.

Not his best work, but even average Squires is still worthwhile:

The times are fine. Possibly because Central time is currently on Daylight Savings Time, so it’s an hour ahead.

I was going to ask if it was daylight savings, but then I happened upon a site that said CST didn’t have daylight savings. It lied to me.

Love that Belgium one!

So experimented with transcoding yesterday’s match to h265 in Handbrake. At Fast 720p, it went from 11GB to 4GB. High 720p was 6GB. So it’s not as efficient as a movie, but that makes sense as there’s a lot more action and cutting-to-different-camera-angles. Also, modern movies are digitally clean and sharp, but TV has a lot more “noise” that encoders have to deal with.

Support Switzerland… Our team isn’t very good, but the flag is a big plus!

I’m very sorry.

I’ve been really happy with the way the Fox Sports Go app has worked so far, and also how Hulu has worked when I’m at home, even on the Xbox Hulu App. Basically the game is smooth and detailed when it’s on demand later, or when its live. When I first got this setup last week, the French Open final when Live had a really bad framerate, and it was painful to watch on Hulu, so I switched to my live antenna. Also on Hulu, I couldn’t fast forward because every time I did, it showed me TV commercials.

But I’ve had no such issues with the World Cup. Everything looks good. I rewatched parts of yesterday’s match when I got him, and fast forward to where I knew the goals were, and everything was easy to do. And when I fast fowarded, there were no TV commercials or any other kind of interruptions. Everything just works the way you expect it to.

I’m not revealing the score of Morocco/Iran, I’m just saying that one of the announcers just said the manager of Morocco reminds him of Jaime Lannister.

Heh.

-xtien

He’s already quoted Game of Thrones with “‘Fear Cuts Deeper Than Swords,’ as someone once said.”

…that one of the BBC radio guys just told Donald Trump to stay out of sport. The context was that the Iranian side apparently couldn’t get Nike boots due to sanctions after the nuclear agreement withdrawal.

Strangely, the Iranian coach looks like Cersei