World Cup 2018 - No Match Discussions

I don’t understand this rule.

I could definitely word that better. In the final game, what do you think the score will be? If you think 1 - 0, then when you submit your picks, for the tiebreaker, put 1. If you think that the final will wind up being 4 - 1, then put 5. That will be the amount of goals scored in that game during regular time and, if needed, extra time.

The final game of the entire World Cup?

That is Correct. I suspect it will be Germany vs someone.

Okay, thanks! I didn’t see a deadline for our picks. The 14th?

Yes, I will accept picks right up until just before kickoff of the first game.

Oh, I see that in the rules now. Sorry!

A sample entry might save you some headaches later.

A fine idea. I’ll put something together during lunch.

So here is a sample submission:

Group A: Belgium
Group B: Spain, Argentina
Group C: Poland, Peru
Group D: Uruguay, Mexico
Group E: Iceland, Sweden
Group F: Iran, Serbia
Group G: Egypt, Nigeria
Group H: Russia, Japan

Tiebreaker: 4 goals

I’ve been reading the 2014 World Cup thread and it was great to read everyone posting their reactions as games played out.

I just did the same marquac. Man, that was exciting to read. I have to admit, at 42 years old, my memory isn’t what it used to be. I’d forgotten most of those fantastic moments from the last World Cup until I read that thread again. And yet, I still remember most of the earlier World Cup moments from when I was younger. Hmmm, probably something to do with the way we form memories.

Picking teams for this game was harder than I thought it would be: having to go with teams I don’t really expect much of and not being able to pick teams I think will do well because there are others in their grouping I think will do better.

The absolute best thing about this tournament is obviously Nigeria’s uniforms. They’re going to be my adopted team for that reason alone, even though I didn’t pick them for the prediction game.

Thanks!

BTW, I’m now allowed to share some images from a group we ran with some soccer betting experts in the UK and North America last week.

That’s our group stage heatmap.

One important question from the 2014 thread was “did EA fuck up their free World Cup DLC for FIFA by not letting you pick human cointrol for every team.”

I don’t remember the answer from back then, but I can confirm that the 2018 World Cup DLC does let you do that, so you can play out every single game, if you were some sort of lunatic. Like me.

I just finished the England-Panama game, so I’m almost two thirds of the way through the group stages. France are the best looking team so far, with a 4-1 win over Australia and a 4-2 over Peru. Brazil squeaked past Costa Rica 1-0 with a 93rd minute goal from Firmino.

Best game so far was probably Sweden 3-3 South Korea.

How do you decide France is looking good? Weren’t you controlling France in both those games, thereby increasing your likelyhood of winning? Or were you controlling Australia and Peru in both those games? In that case, France’s performance does seem more impressive.

Don’t overrate my ability! I was also controlling Brazil in their 1-0 win over Costa Rica.

And England in their 1-1 draw with Tunisia.

More for fun than as a predictor. There are teams I hate and can’t root for, so I am not predicting them to do well! :)

People might want to rate Spain a little lower in their predictions now… because they’ve just sacked their manager.

Really hard to determine who amongst Real Madrid, the FA president and the coach acted the dumbest in this case.